Surface plate support quick question

So is there a possibility of tipping on a 3 point stand? I'm considering a 24 x 24 plate. Probably the heaviest thing I would put on it would be 30-60 pound cross slides.

Three legged milk stools have been around a long time. :)

As ezduzit stated, the support for the three points would be the important factor. Most of the signage I've seen on the work benches or carts in machine shops always detail a **DO NOT** preceeding a list, with some type of physical harm done if said action was ignored. I think by the very nature of the surface plate being a precision tool, logic says we treat it with care. With that said; I stopped using "Would you treat your tools that way?" years ago.

I've seen plenty of surface plates supported on work benches and carts. I don't think I would be inclined to place one on a three point stand. Many websites show the plate inset into or surrounded by a protective frame to prevent a **what if**. My experience in fabrication is the employee struggle with when to use a level versus a square. It isn't necessary for the plate support to be precicely level, just structurally sound.

Last edited:
I would think a cart should have a frame slightly larger than the plate so the plate couldn't bump anything as it's rolled around.
You could still mount the plate on three points with a square or rectangular frame and support the frame with four wheels.

Given the weight and it's setup location, a surface plate on casters may expedite shop projects. Level isn't the primary purpose of a surface plate, although having one set up in the level position seems to jump out as important. My concern would be the possibility of it getting tipped over and damaged.

Leveling could be an important factor if you what to do some static balancing. As with 2 knife edge straight edges.

Leveling could be an important factor if you what to do some static balancing. As with 2 knife edge straight edges.
Yes it would, but if the intent was to facilitate timeliness in a machining project(s) to save steps back to the surface plate, it isn't likely related to static balancing. There's multiple tasks where a surface plate needs to be level.

I suppose you could seat the knife edges on 4 posts. 3 of which are adjustable.
The reason I even mentioned it was because I just very recently purchased a surface plate. I was thinking of how I should mount it. While planning it out in my head I realized I could
Balance Harley Davidson fly wheels with that kind of set up. My original purpose of purchasing the plate was to scrape the ways of a cheap Chinese milling machine.
Mine will also be on a heavy duty cart with casters.

Static balancing... well it's gone over my head again. lol
Imagine a round rod placed in the mounting hole of a lawnmower blade so you can tell which side needs to be ground down to balance the blade. Something requiring more accuracy might be the stone/wheel for a surface grinder. Static balancing would be the least expensive way to check for an out of balance condition, but it's also a quick way to answer a vibration question. e.g. vibrating bench grinder.

PS. Okay, I just assumed you had balanced a lawnmower blade, or that you had lawn that needs mowing. :)

I suppose you could seat the knife edges on 4 posts. 3 of which are adjustable.
The reason I even mentioned it was because I just very recently purchased a surface plate. I was thinking of how I should mount it. While planning it out in my head I realized I could
Balance Harley Davidson fly wheels with that kind of set up. My original purpose of purchasing the plate was to scrape the ways of a cheap Chinese milling machine.
Mine will also be on a heavy duty cart with casters.

I did chuckle. I imagine a guy sitting on a Harley thinking; Hmmm, maybe my flywheel is out of balance. :D

If ya think about it, if you didn't know better the first time you sat on a Harley you'd probably say:
"Hmmm, maybe my flywheel is out of balance. Maybe I need a surface plate"

Back