Surface plate built into a workbench?

I rather think that it is better to have a surface plate on top of the bench (I can't figure out how to disable this underline thing) My thinking is that having it higher makes it easier to see what you are doing when doing layout work and not having to bend over so much. Personally (Wow! I figured out the underline!!!) Also personally, I much prefer cast iron plates to granite, for one thing, they are much lighter and easier to move, and of course they may be re scraped . I have one 13- 3/4" square and another 24" square. And, I admit that my two plates are also a catch all for all sorts of stuff, but the smaller plate has a plywood cover with a continuous cleat fastened all around (to keep it in place) that serves to protect it and can be lifted off with all the stuff still on it if desired to use the plate.

I did actually just finished what I decided to do. Which was to build a stand for it. That is over at thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/surface-plate-support-quick-question.57016/ Ended up being not such a quick question. But the stand is built for 36" working height or higher as needed. This places the top of the plate high enough there shouldn't be any bending unless you are tall. Of course I'm not very tall so :)
Paul

Back