Surface Plate and Stand

Phil3

Active User
Registered
Is it necessary or advisable to use a special stand for a granite surface plate? Will a self built heavy duty wood unit work? I see most granite pieces are black, but recall pink being better? Opinions on grade, ledge or not, and size are welcome. I am using a 9" Southbend lathe and 5 x 20 mill, so most work is smallish. I am asking about the stand and plate because Enco has free shipping on this stuff right now, but have no good way to handle it upon delivery as I am laid up with a fractured ankle for the next 2-1/2 months.

- Phil

If you want it to be precisely level, a steel frame might be more consistent. Also there is a particular way surface plates are (theoretically, at least) supposed to be mounted, on three pads at certain distances apart (if I can find the reference on this I'll come back with an edit).

FWIW I just welded up some 1-1/2 inch angle iron cross braced with 1" strap and put adjustable feet on it so it could be leveled, for my 12x18 plate...
made a stand about elbow-high and it's worked out pretty well.

Edit: here is a link to the Federal spec on mounting: https://s3.amazonaws.com/campbellsgsps.com/documents/3_point_support_system.pdf

I also made a wood box to cover the plate...it not only protects the plate when not in use (which is usual) and provides a handy shelf to put stuff on....its mounted
behind my mill, so I put my mill wrenches, vise handle, & stuff on it. The bottom is a shelf also for rotary table, etc. Point is you can use the space pretty well for other stuff too...

Back