Surface grinder dust collector

walterwoj

Registered
Registered
So I want to use this jenn-air down draft stove blower to make a dust collector for my taft pierce surface grinder. It has a 6 inch inlet and a 5 inch outlet. The grinder has a 4 inch connector. I plan to vent the dust directly outside. I can do all the adapters just fine but my real question is:

Do I need to use anything to protect the motor from the metal dust or can I just throw it inline and expect to get many years or hobby level use out of it?

I've been thinking of making/buying some type of venturi so the blower wouldn't be in-line with the dust but I can find any and am thinking maybe I am overthinking the problem....
5e3415e78ae05f87e122c864b254c495.jpg
125e2db3be427988b7e60133df6bcdcf.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Separating out the dust from the fan would certainly be better than having it run through the impeller and associated bearing on the end of the motor shaft. The abrasives from the grinding are probably more damaging to your health than the metal, but that is just a guess. I do know for a fact that silica, which is found in most abrasives, is a carcinogen.

I have linked a couple of products to get you started.

That or a shopvac.
With a cyclone of one type or another: it's surprising how much grit these can know out of the airflow, keeping the vac's filter from loading up.

Have you tested the ability of that blower to actually move the grinding dust any distance? In my limited experience with fans and extraction systems you need a lot of velocity to effectively suck stuff away. Fumes and airborne dust particles are one thing, but for actual grit I’d want to see if it would do anything before getting too carried away with the design end. But maybe you’ve done that already, I don’t know.

Another thing to consider is where the dust is going to be collected or deposited. If you just blow it outside the prevailing winds may spread it all over the side of the building or on your vehicles. A little moisture and any ferrous grit will turn to rust and stick on anything in its path.

With a cyclone of one type or another: it's surprising how much grit these can know out of the airflow, keeping the vac's filter from loading up.
If it’s dedicated, a down pipe into water with sn oil film works better than cyclonic.

The down pipe should just barely enter the water.

Basically a grinder bong.

My Boyar Schultz surface grinder has a built in dust collector. The motor and rotor are beyond the dust filter so that it never sees the dust. There are plans on line for making a cyclone dust collector for a shop vac for when you do things like drywall where the filter and motor could get messed up by the dust. For this application, I'd put a layer of water in the 5 Gal bucket it will be made from to trap the grinding dust.

Back