Surface Gauge

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I wanted a project to do on the shaper and had just picked up a bar of cast unknownium, so this seemed a natural choice. Now I know you can buy new ones for $20, but having one isn't the point. I'll start with a shot I posted on another thread a short time ago - the rough block of cast.
P1010042.JPG

Cleaning up the block on the shaper. Notice the lug nut holding the block in the vise. The tapered part grips it tightly and allows the flat side of the block to be pushed against the solid part of the vise.
P1010046.JPG

P1010047.JPG

Here's the block roughed out, complete with V-grooves cut on the shaper. First time I've done angled downfeeds.
P1010050.JPG

Time to cut out the fine adjuster. I really like the cheapy DROs I added to the mill. Hit "Zero", crank in the required dimension, mill it and move on. The speed control available with the VFD is pretty sweet, too.
P1010052.JPG

The finished base, side grooves and all, with the adjuster in place.
P1010056.JPG

I got carried away with the construction and kinda forgot I had a camera, so you can fill in some of the steps. A little turning, knurling, drilling, threading, etc. and you get a pile of parts. The scriber is a piece of 5/32" music wire, tapered on a belt sander, curved at one end and hardened at the tips with an oil quench.
P1010060.JPG

The assembled surface gauge. The scriber clamp with also take the small holder that came with my test indicator.
P1010058.JPG

P1010042.JPG P1010047.JPG P1010056.JPG P1010050.JPG P1010052.JPG P1010060.JPG P1010058.JPG P1010046.JPG

Mike
Thats a fine looking tool you built. Nice work!

Paul

Nice project Mike, and a great write up. Others will benefit from your documentation.

That ingot of cast unknownium must have been a challenge to saw, the top looks might hard. I like the idea of using a lug nut to hold the rough stock. Now I know what to do with that box of misfits that I can't bear to throw away. Are you going to blue or blacken the base? (assuming it is carbon steel)

Tom

Now that is a neat tool to make!!!!

And also a good excuse to carry on my search for a shaper!!!:biggrin:

Andrew

As all the rest have said. Mighty fine piece of work. !st rate.
dickr

The base machined like cast iron, after it ate my bandsaw blade. That would make it very high in carbon, so bluing should work. Just don't have a plan to go there right now. I was thinking of charcoal wrinkle paint for the top and upper sides of the base.

When I cut the grooves on the sides, I made the upper flats narrower (lower) than the lower side flats, so the lower ones could be used for indexing if desired.

Back