Super 55 question

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My Index Super 55 is in pretty nice condition, but the table sure takes a fair amount of effort to move left/right. What are other peoples experience with Index mills from the 50s era? I've added some new grease, and the old that it displaced looks OK, but I think it takes too much effort to move. I'd compare it to the same effort as needed to raise the table. Could it be because of the power feed? (yes, it is dis-engaged when I'm turning the handle)

The non-rotating knobs on the handles don't help either. I'm thinking about making a replacement handle with a larger diameter and with a rotating knob.

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

My Index Super 55 is in pretty nice condition, but the table sure takes a fair amount of effort to move left/right. What are other peoples experience with Index mills from the 50s era? I've added some new grease, and the old that it displaced looks OK, but I think it takes too much effort to move. I'd compare it to the same effort as needed to raise the table. Could it be because of the power feed? (yes, it is dis-engaged when I'm turning the handle)

The non-rotating knobs on the handles don't help either. I'm thinking about making a replacement handle with a larger diameter and with a rotating knob.

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Jack -

are the Gibs too tight? My Index 55 ( same as you except not a super, but power on the X feed ), but it not much effort to turn it manually on my mill, and i have yet to take the saddle assembly off and clean or adjust anything, one of the reason mine works well was the previous owner had been using it before he passed away, so it was not rusting, it was however dirty, and I have been spot cleaning, lubing as I go, my Z feed is a little bit of work, but I attribute that to dried up grease, on my Y feed I worked it a bit to clean it up and lube the screw and that helped. My power feed I had to install a new motor, belt and it works fine now. I never had my hands on a Bridgeport, so I cannot compare how well the those turn in contrast to a 55.

- Al

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

We are now discussing gib adjustment in the Machine Scraping and Restoration forum. I have some photo's on there showing how to adjust a tapered gib. You should check your gib. Maybe loosen it a lot and see if that helps. If not let me know, Rich

Jack -

are the Gibs too tight? My Index 55 ( same as you except not a super, but power on the X feed ), but it not much effort to turn it manually on my mill, and i have yet to take the saddle assembly off and clean or adjust anything, one of the reason mine works well was the previous owner had been using it before he passed away, so it was not rusting, it was however dirty, and I have been spot cleaning, lubing as I go, my Z feed is a little bit of work, but I attribute that to dried up grease, on my Y feed I worked it a bit to clean it up and lube the screw and that helped. My power feed I had to install a new motor, belt and it works fine now. I never had my hands on a Bridgeport, so I cannot compare how well the those turn in contrast to a 55.

- Al

Thanks for the response. I backed off the gib a bit tonight and it did make it move a little easier. However, when I was under the table, I noticed that the underside of the slide area of the table had some sticky, dry grease film on it in places. I'm guessing that a good cleaning will help me out a lot also.

Jack

- - - Updated - - -

We are now discussing gib adjustment in the Machine Scraping and Restoration forum. I have some photo's on there showing how to adjust a tapered gib. You should check your gib. Maybe loosen it a lot and see if that helps. If not let me know, Rich

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the discussion on that forum page.

Jack

Probably best to get the grease cleaned off, then to lube it with way oil instead. My super 55 has some wear, so if the gib is tightened down so that it is good in the middle, it gets difficult to move at the ends of travel.

Probably best to get the grease cleaned off, then to lube it with way oil instead. My super 55 has some wear, so if the gib is tightened down so that it is good in the middle, it gets difficult to move at the ends of travel.

CJ, Didn't you take a scraping class a few years back? Scrape the machine so it doesn't get tight on the ends..

Rich

CJ, Didn't you take a scraping class a few years back? Scrape the machine so it doesn't get tight on the ends..

Rich

LOL, Yes Rich, and it's on the list, right behind a whole bunch of other stuff to do. I actually don't use that mill much, so it's taken a low priority.

My gallon of Mobile Vactra #2 oil came in from Enco today and I pumped some into the zerks on the mill. After a couple traverses and cleaning up old grease, more oil, it's amazing how nicely the table is moving now! Before, I had to move to the end of the table and put quite a bit of effort into cranking the table, now, I can stand in front and easily reach out and turn as much as I want.

Thanks for your help,
Jack

Back