Suggestions for a Repair

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I think this is a KO Lee or maybe a Harig cam type fixture to sharpen taps. The material is cast aluminum. The crack ends 180° from where it starts.
1708297595611.png

First question is, do you want it to look good? If so, V’ing it out and welding it is all I can think of.

If not I would make a bunch of plates to fit either side of the crack and drill/ tap the casting for screws to hold the plates in place. Maybe even a slim ring top and bottom for extra support

Maybe welding is not the way to go as it needs to close some when tightening. Maybe drilling a hole at the end of the fracture to stop the split and adding a piece of CR flat taped or even brazed along the flat length above the three bolt holes.

I'll show a few pics today after I get home from work.
Are there bad aluminum brazing rods and good ones or are they pretty much all the same?
I bought some years ago off of Amazon so maybe I'll give that a try first.

I don't know what the whole part looks like but maybe milling out a new part would be the way to go.
My usual methodology would be to try welding up the part first before making one.
Hi, I agree with making a new replacement clamp.I personally would go with a piece of SCH. 80 pipe if possible, slit it (at the seam) and weld the flats to it. 07B1DFE2-83EA-4415-A888-8C6A7C6E8160.jpeg

Last edited:
Back