Suggestion for Way repair

if you look for a replacement bed there were two thickness of ways 3/8 and 1/2 inch , I think. Anyway double check the bed thickness of any replacement bed and make sure it matches.

Technically. if the only thing wrong was the one rear hole broken out, those two holes are only there to position the head stock at approximately the correct left-to-right position. If that were the only damage, I wouldn't worry about it. But the rest of the damage may be important. I would recommend replacement of the bed.

Also, if it is really a Craftsman, it is a 12". If it is really a 10", it is an Atlas. However, although the Atlas and Craftsman used different head-stocks and tail-stocks, the beds are interchangeable, except that until about 1948 they each came in four different lengths. And the legs under the beds may be different, depending upon vintage.

The upside is learning some good skills in a low-risk environment (nothing to lose: if you don't like it, just scrape so there is no contact at all) or potentially return it to fairly good service.

Dabbler once again speaks truth.

Daryl
MN

Back