Sudden Stop

zerotact

Registered
Registered
I have a H.F. 7 X 10 lathe--bought on C.L. for dirt cheap--been using it for about 3 months now and it`s run very well--made many things on it--so im making a die holder 3 days ago and I start hearing a whining noise. So I stop the machine to investigate. open the gear panel--no visible damage-- start lathe to listen to gears--the whining is less now--stopped lathe again and moved drive lever down to reverse direction--pushed switch to restart lathe--and Nothing--What-?--I put drive back in forward and tried to restart lathe--Nothing again---Now im worried--remember, this was not the problem I went to investigate--it was just a noise--and now the machine wont run at all--checked fuse with DVOM--fuse good--used meter to check ac voltage path--through fuse to other side--and on to terminal board--ac voltage good all the way. checked for dc voltage at terminal outs on board--Nothing--im like--What happened--the lathe was just running --what could switching the drive direction from forward to reverse have to do with the loss of electrical power--they are two different functions--one mechanical and the other electrical--so now I disconnect the dc outs from the terminal block and feed 12 v dc from a car battery directly to the motor and it fires right up and runs fine--slow--but fine--ok--im lost now--any help would be greatly appreciated --Greg

Is there a transformer? Did you check the transformer inputs and outputs?

Did you find the problem?

Back