Succession Planning...what To Do With Our Home Shops/machine Skills

I think you are making some assumptions about gender that facts don't support. I was a math teacher and didn't find girls inferior to boys.
Nothing about assumptions, my girls just aren't showing an interest in my shop. I don't want to burden my wife with getting rid of my things and I will need something to do if I ever retire. Just seems it would be nice to have a son in law that can appreciate more than a phone screen.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I am in kinda the same boat as Mark. I have no wife and kids. But, here is my take on the whole thing. All I am going to do is live my life to the fullest and as happy as I can be and in the end with no regrets about anything. And when it all ends I hope that I have used up as much as I have saved. If there is anything left over it is not my concern anymore, because at that point it is all out my hands and will be what will be. It is all just stuff and assigning any sentiment over it is a waist of effort. Now mind you, you all have very different situations than I.

I think you are making some assumptions about gender that facts don't support. I was a math teacher and didn't find girls inferior to boys.

Actually, I think it is you that are making assumptions.

A good friend whom I served with will take care of the sale of my weapons ( 3 large safes packed ) and whatever is in the garage. He will make sure the wife will not try to sell them for the acquisition price I quoted her.

For his effort, he has the choice of one rifle, one handgun, and any machine in the garage. Son of a gun is already putting his name on my Colt Python and the USMC built M40a1....lol

I gave my wife the name of an auctioneer who deals with machinist equipment and could come clean out the whole shop. Then I had to tell her to put the phone down and explained that it was for AFTER I'm dead.

There are some good ideas here. I need a better inventory of what goes with what. I'd hate to think that someone would buy one of my machines and miss out on the oddball collets or some crucial accessory because no one knew what it went with. And by the way, out of the goodness of my heart, I am willing to be named the benificiary of anyones machinery estate if it is otherwise likely to end up in a dumpster.

Back