Succession Planning...what To Do With Our Home Shops/machine Skills

louosten

Registered
Registered
I found this interesting topic on another internet forum (The Garage Journal) and coincidentally, had been pondering the future of my own situation:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321460&highlight=who's+lathes

As we go about merrily collecting machine tools, and building our skills inventory, building home shops, and cultivating Old World skills, what will become of all this effort once we leave this earth, and continue to our just desserts?

It worries me sometimes to hear Wifey announce that as soon as I leave, everything I have enjoyed over the years will end up on the curb, or to the eager drive-by for pennies on the dollar, should I be so foolish as to leave cherished machines & tools behind. And what about the skills...should we be actively trying to pass these on to younger generations, who at present aren't remotely interested in any of these activities?

Sorry for the pause in machining activity, just wondering if any of you 'over 65 types' have considered these thoughts too.

I told my son that I have made him executor and he will need to deal with about 5000 pounds of machine tools in the basement before the house can go on the market. He looked concerned. I don't know if his concern was for me or for the burden (literally) that he will inherit.

I see the same concerns expressed in other hobbies - private aviation, radio control aircraft and ham radio. The world changes and with it, peoples interests change. I think these hobbies are dying a slow death and in another 30 years will be almost nonexistent. I think the same may be true for hobby machining.

Last edited:
I think the kids will keep my shop intact, or at the very least will keep the equipment. They grew up having machine tools available and they have no need to sell this place. Taxes and other expenses run about $400/month on this place, so that's pretty cheap rent for a well equipped shop. ;) #1 son has his own thing going in Colorado, so probably isn't a factor. #2 son is an accomplished machinist and has contributed greatly to equipping the shop, although he does not work in the trade. #3 son has his own auto repair shop but still comes over here to do things that he is not equipped for and he has also contributed to equipping the shop.

#3 son is considering buying the property where his shop is at, so it could be that the equipment would be moved over there.

I do suspect that they will get rid of a lot of my 45 year accumulation of miscellaneous stuff. Having a complete hardware store, industrial supply, and electrical supply on the shelf takes up a lot of room.:grin:

Find someone you trust in each of your interests and ask them to help your family dispose of your equipment. My wife knows to contact my brother for help since we both have similar interests - ham radio, archery, machine shop, wood shop, and electronics. Also, tag all equipment you own. A friend of mine died and his brothers showed up and told his wife they came to get the tools that he borrowed from them. Luckily she told them to leave.

And what about the skills...should we be actively trying to pass these on to younger generations, who at present aren't remotely interested in any of these activities?

Sorry for the pause in machining activity, just wondering if any of you 'over 65 types' have considered these thoughts too.

You don't have to be >65 for this to be a concern. I run into this all the time and not even 60.

We, as a people, have lost lots of skills. Not just the quaint colonial skills of days gone by like "hay stacking" (a genuine skill). We've lost remarkably recent technical skills.

We can't build another Saturn V rocket. It's gone. The references are gone. It had to be thrown away as part of the Space Shuttle funding (that's Congress' doing). We can't build another B-52. And before someone says that we could build something just as good, I can assure you we cannot. We use computers, yes, instead of slide rules, yes, we use composites, yes, instead of metal, yes, but the very algorithms and equations that were once derived for specialized uses are simply gone. And no legal department would ever allow them to be resurrected.

Worse yet, executives with accounting backgrounds run the plants and figure 30 years of experience in engineering is worth no more than an entry level new-hire engineer. After all, an engineer is an engineer.

I know "20 year" machinists who have only run NC machines programmed by someone else and have never run a conventional mill/lathe. I've done both and sorry, it ain't the same. But to the executive, a machinist is a machinist.

The pitiful fact is that on a long enough timeline, all of our machines are destined for the scrap pile. Sooner or later, even the most ordinary garage hobbyist will be using only CNC stuff; if only hand-me-downs from production like we do now. So when i'm gone, my machine tools will only be attractive for whatever potential they have in conversions or curious collectibles. Maybe someone will make a coffee table from my mill bed.

Wrat

I have had many fun filled Saturdays at auctions buying tools and equipment. I'll do my part to other's entertainment and have it all auctioned off. The grandkids who have done projects with me will get the proceeds so that they can buy anything they want at the auction. Maybe I can start their addictions to tools. chuckle chuckle

This is a great topic. I am 54 with no kids. We have a Schnauzer, but she has no interest in machining. I have recently been thinking about this a lot. I'm glad to know I am not alone and to hear others thoughts. Somehow, someday I am going to make sure all my good stuff goes to a good home. I am hoping one of my nephews or nieces will get the creative bug!
Robert

I have no kids either. Once I get too old to use my stuff I think I'll enjoy giving it away to someone who can use it.
If I still have my marbles I might even get to teach them how it all goes together.
Otherwise? Farm Auction :) and I can look down at people paying too much for all my stuff.

I went to a farm auction the other day that was three generations of unfinished projects and some finished ones.
I should have bought more.
David

Back