Stupid Is As Stupid Does

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Jack,

I was shocked when I saw that on HSM - the kid has no brains, no commmon sense, and no respect for machinery.
It's possible to get hurt even when you are careful, much less when you are begging for it like this kid.

Where is the instructor? No sign of him or her and kids are climbing on machines.
The instructor should have taught the kids to respect the power and potential of
the machines for good and to cause bodily injury. Plus, if the instructor wasn't around or had to leave the
classroom, the power should have been removed from the machines. I frankly like key switches like they
used to have on the radial arm saw in shop class when I was in elementary (grammar) school

To me, the instructor should be removed, not the course itself. Kids need to learn manual skills and safety.
I did, and now when I tell people the things I do at my house, they just look at me because they
are all desk jockeys like I am, but unlike them, I don't have to hire a plumber to change a drain.

The kid behind him who pushed the button should be suspended- that was a malicious and stupid
thing to do.

Sad, very sad,

Best,

Nelson

We have 3 kids that age, we keep them busy. A kid who isn't busy and supervised is an accident waiting to happen One plays sports and the clarinet, one plays the flute, one belongs to clubs at high school. No one touches my machines or my antique clocks. In fact, I gave them each an antique box clock of their own to take care of to teach them about clocks, and they know how to wind them, etc. (Frankly, I was hoping they would get interested in them as a hobby so when I die, they wouldn't sell them for $5 each or toss them). The flutist winds a grandfather clock I have for me. I have tried to get them interested in the machines, but no such luck. I don't understand a kid who is tugging on a chuck with a key for kicks, the kid wasn't taught the meaning and importance of the lathe or to respect it. I'm just at a loss.

Best,

Nelson

It almost reminds me of the "triple dog dare" in the Christmas Story where the kid had to stick his tongue on the metal pole and see if he could remove it, and got stuck and they
had to call the fire department to get him loose.

Kids that age......sigh.....ya hafta stay on top of them. I never messed with drugs, because, frankly, I'm scary enough sober.... ;D Besides, when I was 19,
I got my kicks riding and chasing trains as a railfan, not running in front of them.

Best,

Nelson

Back