stuborn drawbar on Index 55

sitn

Registered
Registered
Greetings, I am having trouble removing the drawbar on my Index 55 mill. As I turn it clockwise it binds up. Turning it counter clockwise does not allow me to remove it either. It had a collet type holder in when I purchased the machine. Had one heck of a time removing it. I have five 5 B&S No. 9 tool holders for the machine and a lot of end mills to use, but cannot tighten enough to keep from slipping. So I decided to remove the drawbar.Then I decided to remove the quill. Gasp, what a problem I made for myself. I read the thread on removing the quill, but am stumped on the drawbar too.

sitn

a drawbar is just a long bolt, just sits in there on my mills. (I have power drawbar units so there's a shear pin)

If I were to rotate the head to horizontal, it slides out with just a slight bit of tapping. Sounds like yours is stretched and bent and is going to need a bit more persuasion

OK, so what kind of persuasion do I need to do? I have turned it until I got the collet out and tapped it down, but it will not drop out. I started to remove the quill but am stumped there also. On an older Index machile I had no trouble at all.

sitn:nuts:

If you can avoid it, don't tear down the head. I have a Super 55 myself and did a full rebuild on mine, and the the quill was a bear! Here's the thread I made on it: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/how-does-an-index-super-55-quill-come-out.21998/

The drawbar isn't held in place like it is on other mills. Unless there's something holding it in, it should slide freely from the top. You may have to tap it out from below.

I got tired of beating on mine with a mallet to release collets, so I eventually made a new drawbar with a shoulder and a counter-threaded nut to go in the top of the quill. Now I just turn with a wrench, and it pushes the collet out on its own.

I got tired of beating on mine with a mallet to release collets, so I eventually made a new drawbar with a shoulder and a counter-threaded nut to go in the top of the quill. Now I just turn with a wrench, and it pushes the collet out on its own.

!!!!BINGO!!!
Why didn't I think of this!? Been banging my holders loose for twenty years.

Thanks for the idea.

Back