StrongHand Tools Welding Cart...DROOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very pretty, but too rich for my blood. That kind of accuracy is impressive, but 99.5 % of the work any of us do, it is just not required. For a 1k you can build a much larger, stouter, table, with more flexibility. If your a welder, just build what "you" need, If you want bragging rights, and skinny legs, get out the credit card. JMO. Mike

Mike, you are absolutely correct. I cannot justify 75% or more of what's in my shop now. If I had to financially justify it all, I would be in serious trouble. My banker (wife) knows that too! Thank God she is a tolerant soul.

My welding table is outside the shop (under cover) now and I would not really be willing to dedicate the space to one of these in my shop. So one of these or any new table is not in the cards but it sure is fun to look.

.004" in 12" is good until you start clamping and then what's the tolerances? It's steel and a really pretty toy. The average piece of steel on the market today is nowhere near the tolerances listed for the table and this is before you place the first tackweld. Now you tack up and weld the project together on one side, so what do you do when it creeps a 1/4" out of square (or dimension) when you unclamp it? When you move it across the shop floor, how do you adjust the surface for accuracy....square, straight edge...? The new trend in welding tables machined from mild steel are the latest **I gotta' have that**gimmick. The same applies to the tables made from 3"-4" wide bar. A piece of 5/8" plate with 5/8" holes drilled on 2" centers, becomes a flexible welding table.

If you really want what this manufacturing company is advertising, buy a Weldsale or Acorn platten/welding table, or buy a piece of steel plate and make one similar yourself.

PS. Looks great for wood projects.

Last edited:
Most woodworkers would not work on a steel table.

Most woodworkers would not work on a steel table.
I agree. I think it's good for clamping and gluing but you can get the same from a wooden table for a lot less, and you don't end up with stains on your woodwork.

I have a REAL issue with things not being flat, square, and true so the accuracy of this table suits me. If some would rather shim and jigger their stuff together on some half warped rusty steel table more power to them. :)

This table goes beyond TIG welding. Slap a piece of laminate on it for wood projects. Carbon fiber laminates. Routing. Soldering. Vacuum forming. Having a thick, flat, heavy table reference just makes things so much easier.

I am betting that baby is heavy! By the time you buy some more clamps and jigs to go with the kit, you will have some big bucks invested. Great for TIG welding shop though.

I have started studying TIG machines. I have a Miller but it is from the late seventies and a huge honker of a stick/TIG machine. It's TIG function is not up to speed.

So now the price for a new TIG setup is escalating rapidly!

She weighs in at 425 lbs, about what your average 10" cast iron table saw weighs. We'll see how accurate the table is, the last StrongHand welding table I had was flat to within .002 over 24 inches.

Spine surgery, hip surgery, 2 years of constant PAIN is finally behind me thank Christ.

Coolidge, I have been wondering where you have been and wondering if you were okay. Glad the surgery is behind you. Thank you again for the 4 jaw chuck you sent my way
cheers
michael

I have a REAL issue with things not being flat, square, and true so the accuracy of this table suits me. If some would rather shim and jigger their stuff together on some half warped rusty steel table more power to them. :)

I wasn't trying to be a downer on the topic, just stating the facts. The Rhino Cart ad does say nitrided top, reversible? Why someone would want to reverse their welding table top escapes me. Now, other than the fact that the table specs state .004" in 12", what are the tolerances across the width and length? This would be the same as saying; My surface plate is accurate in this quadrant. The table tops are offered with or without the nitride treatment and the treatment is about the only thing that's going to maintain the tolerances or specs when the tables are being used.

In regard to flat, square and true..................You can't purchase a piece of material that's precision, or even close to those tolerances unless you go to a specialty house, then after you weld on it, it isn't going to be flat square or true. At some point in time, after the tacking is all over, you have to remove the weldment out of the fixture and weld it up. I understand that clamping is one form of controlling induced stress and distortion, but emphasis is controlling, not controlled, because you can't.

I believe in truth in advertising so I would like to see the weldments featured in the Rhino Cart ads or ProBuilt welding tables turned around and fixtured up so the opposite side can be clamped and welded. I'm sure the point in some of the videos are to show the different clamps available (that's their money maker), but many show setups that limit tacking and welding.

I know these tops have become more popular with individuals over the last few years but they are mainly used in production assembly lines for robotics. Marketing says lets sell these to Joe Public, they're cool, along with the professionals always use half warped rusty plate. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back