StrongHand Tools Welding Cart...DROOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting YouTube videos showing the StrongHand table in use. I'm skeptical, but again with my experience using the MFT is seems pretty attractive. Of course with a 3' x 4' full nitrided table, casters, and tooling, probably north of $5k, which is why the Rhino cart seems pretty attractively priced. I do like the slat approach, however. If I end up building my own table I plan to do something similar, although without the flatness and multiple tapped holes.

Last edited:
No you're not stating facts, you are stating opinions that unfortunately are wrong. Not trying to pick a fight here, but lets set people straight.

Fact: I owned a StrongHands 2x3 foot welding table, nitrided, with the 5/8 thick drilled table plates. What you don't see in the pictures is the construction of the sub-base the table plates are bolted to. It was massive, like 2x3 inch heavy steel tubing, precision ground in the areas the table plates bolted to. Thus its flat and is going to stay flat even under clamping, the sub-base is much more rigid than the plates. Hell the damn thing was so heavy I had to lift it with a engine hoist.

Fact: The stated tolerance was .004 in 12 inches, the measured tolerance was better .002 in 24 inches on my table, measured with a precision Starret 24 inch rule. And in fact it was dead flat less than .001 in most areas I measured, the worst was .002.

Reversible Top - Why not, have you seen what noob hack welders like me can do to a welding table. Being able to flip the table over after a few years of abuse is a plus in my book.

Nitride Coating - The Rhino cart only comes nitride coated from what I can see, there's only 1 part number. It is true their other tables are available both untreated and nitride coated. During my brief foray into wire feed MIG I can tell you the nitride coating came in handy, bits of stuck wire and spatter pop right off with a putty knife.

Accuracy - You obviously have not used one of these precision tables so you don't understand the benefits. First off it makes setup WAY faster and easier. Using the locating pins which are in a precision drilled grid you can clamp up your work flat, square and true in a fraction of the time. Have you looked at the warped to **** Miller welding tables? They are a joke, I put a straight edge across one in an AirGas store, it was laughable. I don't want to be fighting both my welding table and welds pulling things out of square. Yes full beads are going to pull things out of square, the pro's adjust for that during setup. I found using shims between my material and the locating pins help with that. Again I'm a hack noob amateur welder, its already so difficult for me I'll take all the help I can get from my table.

FINAL - TBD if this Rhino table is as rigid constructed as their other tables but given the price difference my guess is not. From what I can see in the pictures there's a sub-base at least around the parameter that the top is bolted to. I don't see any counter sunk screws out in the middle of the table which suggest it may not have the heavy sub-base in the middle. But the Rhino cart is priced a lot less than the same size regular table they sell so I expect its probably not built to the same rigid standard. I'm okay with that. This is a compromise for me of mobility, table size, and cost. The regular 3x4 foot table, with casters and the table leg braces would be over $3k, this one is $2,200.

Hey, if your pockets are deep enough......go for it! If I had $2200 laying around I would buy more things to make sparks with. The fixturing capabilities are neet looking. As far as worrying about .004" or whatever the surface is good for, that's kinda silly. As soon as you put the smoke to your parts, they are gonna move some restrained or not. As was said earlier, we just try to control the movement or predict what it's gonna do and mitigate the problem. Its cute and has appeal to the hobbyist. Hell, I would be just as happy with a 4x8 very flat hunk of steel.....that's just my opinion though.

I give up, you are the all knowing of everything okay. Feel free to start your own thread debunking welding tables. :rolleyes:
Not all knowing, just pointing out the fallacy of something that's promoted as accurate but will not maintain it's accuracy for a myriad of reasons. The main focus here is machining H-M. Machinists take a piece of material that isn't precise and work to make it so, or at least that's the intent. If you want the table and think it's the best thing for you then please spend the money. Welding isn't a precise process, even with precise fit-up.

If some would rather shim and jigger their stuff together on some half warped rusty steel table more power to them. :)
You said this, I didn't. When it's all said and done at the end of the day will anyone know, or can they tell that your weldment was clamped up on a $2,500.00 table or a piece of plate. Sure enough, the more accuracy you have when you begin your welding project, the better chances are that you may end up with a better product.
No you're not stating facts, you are stating opinions that unfortunately are wrong.
No, I'm pointing out the obvious that you don't see due to your lack of experience so you call it opinion. If you say you lack welding experience and need all the help you can get, I'm in your corner. I'm not going to banter with 4gsr over machining techniques, procedures or the probable outcomes because this is his field of expertise. When he comments on using flux core wire as an electric fence, I know he's deep in the forest without a compass and it's just opinion, and that's really okay too.

I don't know it all, but I do know quite a bit about my trade and I was attempting to point out a few things which were obvious to me in which you seem to take offense. My main point was a table stated to be within .004" flat in 12". 1). What's going to keep it flat to those tolerances when you clamp up a part, let's say a piece of 2" x 2" x .120" x 36" tube which happens to be out of square or twisted coming from your supplier...as delivered to them from the mill? 2). When you clamp the part does the part move towards the table or does the table move towards the part, or both? 3). I never stated you shouldn't buy it, go for it if you feel good about it, so that's just my opinion. 4). I like the products I fabricate to be accurate too, and I've been doing this for 50 years, and in business for 30+. 5). I stated that I would like to see the weldment turned over and clamped up again after you tack up one side of your project. Take the clamps off after welding and see what you have.

I enjoy my trade and have many hours invested in education and application. I shear and bend metal to .030" tolerances on manual equipment. My friends and acquaintances shear and bend to .002"-.005" tolerances on CNC equipment, and of course their machining is within .001" or better. What we both know is you don't weld, can't weld to the tolerances you're being sold. The simple act of incorrect tack-up creates a losing game. This is what I work with every day and many times (most of the time) the weldments are too large to clamp to a table. How do I weld them up and keep then square or dimensioned per plan is an every day challenge and it begins with the material I'm working with.

The nitrided top has it's positives, but what is the thickness of the nitride finish? Is it .002" or .010", and what's the core hardness of the plate? In reverse, tacking accidently (if your skills are poor) to the plate would cause more induced stress than a table top without nitride treatment. The series of 5/8" holes would make the plate weaker than a solid plate. This isn't opinion, it's fact. Drilling or slitting a plate to facilitate bending is a fabrication technique that's used often and is very common in lighter materials.

Hey, if your pockets are deep enough......go for it! If I had $2200 laying around I would buy more things to make sparks with. The fixturing capabilities are neet looking. As far as worrying about .004" or whatever the surface is good for, that's kinda silly. As soon as you put the smoke to your parts, they are gonna move some restrained or not. As was said earlier, we just try to control the movement or predict what it's gonna do and mitigate the problem. Its cute and has appeal to the hobbyist. Hell, I would be just as happy with a 4x8 very flat hunk of steel.....that's just my opinion though.

I made $200,000 last year cost won't be a problem :D

Last edited:
Not all knowing, just pointing out the fallacy of something that's promoted as accurate but will not maintain it's accuracy for a myriad of reasons. The main focus here is machining H-M. Machinists take a piece of material that isn't precise and work to make it so, or at least that's the intent. If you want the table and think it's the best thing for you then please spend the money. Welding isn't a precise process, even with precise fit-up.

You said this, I didn't. When it's all said and done at the end of the day will anyone know, or can they tell that your weldment was clamped up on a $2,500.00 table or a piece of plate. Sure enough, the more accuracy you have when you begin your welding project, the better chances are that you may end up with a better product.

No, I'm pointing out the obvious that you don't see due to your lack of experience so you call it opinion. If you say you lack welding experience and need all the help you can get, I'm in your corner. I'm not going to banter with 4gsr over machining techniques, procedures or the probable outcomes because this is his field of expertise. When he comments on using flux core wire as an electric fence, I know he's deep in the forest without a compass and it's just opinion, and that's really okay too.

I don't know it all, but I do know quite a bit about my trade and I was attempting to point out a few things which were obvious to me in which you seem to take offense. My main point was a table stated to be within .004" flat in 12". 1). What's going to keep it flat to those tolerances when you clamp up a part, let's say a piece of 2" x 2" x .120" x 36" tube which happens to be out of square or twisted coming from your supplier...as delivered to them from the mill? 2). When you clamp the part does the part move towards the table or does the table move towards the part, or both? 3). I never stated you shouldn't buy it, go for it if you feel good about it, so that's just my opinion. 4). I like the products I fabricate to be accurate too, and I've been doing this for 50 years, and in business for 30+. 5). I stated that I would like to see the weldment turned over and clamped up again after you tack up one side of your project. Take the clamps off after welding and see what you have.

I enjoy my trade and have many hours invested in education and application. I shear and bend metal to .030" tolerances on manual equipment. My friends and acquaintances shear and bend to .002"-.005" tolerances on CNC equipment, and of course their machining is within .001" or better. What we both know is you don't weld, can't weld to the tolerances you're being sold. The simple act of incorrect tack-up creates a losing game. This is what I work with every day and many times (most of the time) the weldments are too large to clamp to a table. How do I weld them up and keep then square or dimensioned per plan is an every day challenge and it begins with the material I'm working with.

The nitrided top has it's positives, but what is the thickness of the nitride finish? Is it .002" or .010", and what's the core hardness of the plate? In reverse, tacking accidently (if your skills are poor) to the plate would cause more induced stress than a table top without nitride treatment. The series of 5/8" holes would make the plate weaker than a solid plate. This isn't opinion, it's fact. Drilling or slitting a plate to facilitate bending is a fabrication technique that's used often and is very common in lighter materials.

OMG look I'm right and you're wrong, see how simple that was.

OK.....this is the end of this discussion. It's not going to change anyone or their opinion.

Locked, no more comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back