Storing used Evaporust

mikey

Platinum
Staff member
Rest In Peace
Guys, I need some advice. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Evaporust from Amazon and want to decant a gallon at a time. What are you using to store this stuff? I tried used plastic milk and water containers (HDPE) and it ate a hole in it. I am going to try gas cans next but wondered what you guys are using. I am trying to avoid using glass due to the risk of breakage.

Ideas?

I have use a couple of different containers. One is I bought some one gallon amounts of Evaporust and have re-used those. Another option is one gallon buckets with lids. I have some of these and they come in very hand for all kinds of things.

One Gallon Buckets W/lids

Maybe an option for you.

I would be tempted to buy a gallon or half gallon of Evaporust and refill the container as needed. The additional cost per gallon of buying the smaller amount would be offset by the cost of an empty bucket anyway. And you would know it was a good container for Evaporust. Plus, it would already be accurately labeled.

Tom

The gallon of Evaporust that I bought a year or more ago came in an HDPE jug and there is no sign of leaking. HDPE is fairly well impervious to all solvents and Evaporust is fairly benign as chemicals go. I have had milk jugs leak with distilled water in them. They are thin wall and any kind of mechanical abrasion can cause a breach. Heavier walled containers as found with antifreeze and similar products will work. Household bleach and detergents are sold in heavier walled containers as well.

I have only bought Evapo-rust in one gallon containers and returned the used solution to the original containers. Mixing old and new is not an issue, unless you want to keep some of it unused so it works faster. Evapo-rust works slower as the chelating agent is used up...

I have also recently found that Evapo-rust works faster in warmer conditions. If I put it in the sun in a sealed container to stop evaporation, it works much faster.

I've been storing it in the 5-quart ice cream bucket that I use to soak my parts. No sign of leaking yet and it has a good lid (and was free after eating the ice cream).

I think the consensus is to try a thicker container, Mike...

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I know this stuff is just a chelating agent but I was concerned it was reacting with the plastic in some way. I will definitely look for a thicker-walled container and see how it goes.

Thank you!!

Use a 5 gallon pail, and seal the top. It's then good for storage and soaking.

Back