1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Stoning, and stones.

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by Moderatemixed, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Moderatemixed

Moderatemixed Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Ancaster,
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Hey everybody,

I am brand new to machining and am in the middle of refurbishing a second Atlas 10F. Last winter I did my first lathe and I am correcting any shortcomings in this second. I set the bed out to be reground and it has come back in beautiful condition. I see on YouTube a number of guys "stoning" lathe beds, milling tables, rotary tables etc. Would someone please give me the low down on stoning. I have a bunch of stones that came in my tool chest when I bought it but I don't know what "grit" they are and what "grit/coarseness" to use, or that I should use one at all, or why to use them. And should I now stone the ways of a beautifully ground lathe bed? Any guidance is appreciated.

2. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

No. Your logic is working. Slow and cautious is the way to go.

3. f350ca

f350ca Canada Active User Active Member

City:
    Calabogie
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

When something gets dropped on a table or way, the resulting mark creates a low spot where the impact occurs. The metal flows from the low spot, to create a ridge. Careful stoning will remove the ridge, leaving the low spot below the original flat surface.
    When scraping a surface you create a microscopic rough surface that can hold oil. After scraping careful stoning removes the high points.
    On a ground surface there should be no high points, so no reason to touch it with a stone.

Greg

Bob Korves likes this.