Stock Duplicator for small shops

Les B

Active User
Registered
Some of may have read my article on how to make a stock by hand. I started in 1981 designing a simple stock machine which could be made by a small shop. By 1983 it was running very well after making several modifications. I wanted a machine that could be stored out of the way against a wall so it needed to fold up and stand on its end. It had to be light enough to move by one person. I picked hard maple for the frame. Old wood machines that I had seen used wood as a base so why wouldn't a duplicator work that same way. My first experience was a North Star carver which I had to assemble a new one out of the box. Later own I bought a used North Star. The area for a North Star carver is about 64 square ft of floor space all the time. My little carver will stand up in about 4 square ft of floor space and opened up will use about 35 sq, ft. Mine designed machine weights in about 135 lbs. It proved to be easy to operate and I cut over size by .025 on the outside and undersize for inletting by about the same amount. It can cut a blank into a semi inletted 95% stock in about 1:15 minutes.

p 3 pic.jpg

p 3 pic.jpg

Are you selling these or do you have plans you are willing to share? I built a very crude duplicator using plywood and drawer slides one afternoon. It works suprisingly well, but it's limited to what it can do.

I will post some more pictures and explain how I came to this design. Remember that this machine is 2ft X 4ft and with the spring table legs. I had a couple of machinist tell me that it would be accurate enough to make a stock. You can be the Judge by what you see in the pictures. Understand what is going on with the machine in operation and I think you will be able to make your call. This one guy was a career machinist and had a North Star machine. His stock work looks more like a beaver gone mad. A machine will cut like the pattern, but if you don't have the eye to see curves and shapes your stock will suffer.
Routing Stock views 019.jpguntitled3.jpguntitled1.jpg

This machine cuts straight lines with a hand control brake from the right side rail groove. There is no support for the blank or the pattern because it is not needed with the straight line force is held with the side rail with the brake. This is a one hand operated machine and there is no pushing with the guide on the pattern. That is the best idea that I found on my designed machine. All parts in the carriage are stable except for the center shaft with the bearing in place. A counter weight on the rear section of the handle is measured to balance the carriage so there is maybe 1/2 lb of down pressure on the operation handle where the brake lever is located. The left side wheel is free move without binding up on the rail. The cables are tuned to the same pitch at medium pressure. This will guide the carriage perfectly up and down the track. I hope this not too hard to understand.

Routing Stock views 019.jpg untitled3.jpg untitled1.jpg

The stock in the next pictures was the last one that I cut on this machine before I sold it. This rifle is alot of work if you can see the details. Mark X action rebarreled to 243 Win, Bolt knob with checkering with gas welding to body, Safety made from bar stock, Floor plate release made, Butt stock end with butt plate, English walnut stock
I use Bondo to set each action and barrel so that I have the best fit as each one will be a little different. The pattern can now be put into the machine to cut the stock blank.
Routing Stock views 002.jpgRifle 003 - Copy.jpgRifle 005.jpgRifle 018 - Copy.jpgRifle 012.jpg

Routing Stock views 002.jpg Rifle 003 - Copy.jpg Rifle 005.jpg Rifle 018 - Copy.jpg Rifle 012.jpg

Very nice, I love it.. esp that buttplate! I wonder how well that would work in CNC. But simplely, where you have the movements in x and y and let the follower continue to control the y positions.

Truly enjoyed your write up thank you. These duplicators have always fascinated me, like a lot of things. I would love to see it work. Could you do a video along the lines of Mr. Pete?

You are a true craftsman and a real benefit to your trade.:tiphat:

I have a video on operation of my machines. Send me a PM and I will answer on this.

Here is a pic of the machine built by my students at TSJC in 1994. This machine was made as a learning tool for students and kept in use for over 15 yrs. Once you run most duplicators they are all similar. You can make a machine for under $1000.

NM17.jpgSpindle chain.jpg

NM17.jpg Spindle chain.jpg

Can can I get the plans for this wonderful design? I could redraw them on AutoCad or Revit

I noticed a reply on my Duplicator for gunstocks. I am not too active due to old age, but can still make up the USB drives to send you for a few dollars to cover the cost. I will donate the funds back to this site to keep it going. Some of the new people on this sight may not know I have written about several topics of gunsmithing from my experience of working full time for over 40 yrs in this trade. Send private message and I will reply.

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith in metal and wood

Les

Yes I would like to get these plans from you.. I worked in my Dad's shop when I was young, so I was trained in the old ways, now I am in my 60's and will retire in a couple of years and I want to return to my roots. This would be a big time saver for roughing a stock. My dad started in the early fifties through the early seventies. It is amazing that it all comes back like riding a bicycle.

Craig

Back