Stiffening A Mini Lathe Bed

but didn't want to suggest it as it is a rather pricey solution. :)

I'm surprised!!
Expensive?
Do I miss something?:eek 2:
I thought steel beams are cheap worldwide...
Can you clarify it please?

Petros

I'm surprised!!
Expensive?
Do I miss something?:eek 2:
I thought steel beams are cheap worldwide...
Can you clarify it please?
Petros

Precision ground plate steel will cost more than cold or hot rolled steel. It does here anyway. :)

Then I took it to extremes and had a friend with a larger mill machine the lathe bed's feet so that they were matched flat and parallel to the bed ways. Then bolted it down to the plate. Made the lathe much more stable, but the modifications started pointing out weaknesses in other parts of the lathe, as you are discovering with the motor. The compound and saddle is another weak area. And the tailstock... Like building a race car from a production street car: Once you start modifying one area, horsepower for example, other components must be redesigned/modified to support the increased power. But the time you're done, you've completely modified the car.

No offense intended, but you can only go so far making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as the saying goes. You've started on that path with a fix for one weakness only to discover another.....then another, etc. At some point, you will need to be content with the performance of the machine, or replace it with something that will fulfill your expectations.

I had a friend with a larger mill machine the lathe bed's feet so that they were matched flat and parallel to the bed ways. Then bolted it down to the plate. Made the lathe much more stable, but the modifications started pointing out weaknesses in other parts of the lathe, as you are discovering with the motor. The compound and saddle is another weak area. And the tailstock... Like building a race car from a production street car: Once you start modifying one area, horsepower for example, other components must be redesigned/modified to support the increased power. But the time you're done, you've completely modified the car.

As I dont have such a friend I used 4 extra nuts between lathe and the base. Adjusting the nuts allowed me to level the bed using "Rollie's Dad's method" (I don't have a machinist level either). This way I compensated for any warp (skew is the right word here?) of the base.

You are very true on the discovering weaknesses this way It just messes up your feelings. You are happy you achieved an improvement and sorry to uncover another well hidden one!!!

Petros

No need to feel bad discovering the weak point in the machine. You have improved it, the real question is it good enough for you.

What do you need it to do? Will the cost of the improvements be more or less than a step up in machinery? Or is tinkering with the machine the hobby?

Either way nice work

No need to feel bad discovering the weak point in the machine. You have improved it, the real question is it good enough for you.

What do you need it to do? Will the cost of the improvements be more or less than a step up in machinery? Or is tinkering with the machine the hobby?

Either way nice work

Well the machine does now exactly what it supposed to do: turn a piece of metal roughly 4X20 inches with an accuracy 0.01mm end to end. It is not designed to work hard steel of that dimension not to be used as a part of a production line either.
Am I happy with it? That is a general question that applies to everything we have and do! I would love to have a HAAS cnc superautomatic machine to make a 0.5x1 inch bolt but it woul be an overkill!!!
I'm happy with the little lathe as it is now!
I can also recall that I was also happy with it when I bought it long time ago!
Comparing it with the machine delivered to me 5 years ago it is a completly different machine.
Working on it's improvement I have learned so many things both for mine and the machine's capabilities.

Instead of doing a bunch of upgrades, just get one of these:
http://lathes.co.uk/monarch/page2.html
instead.

Bob nice idea but the deeper I dig the more problems come to the surface.
After your suggestion I discovered that my tiny shop is smaller than the lathe you suggest:(

4.jpg

There is not enough space!!

Thanks anyway

Petros

More than 1100 kg (2500 pounds) as well...

That makes it slightly heavier than the one I have got.

Seriously now!

I don't know how can I lift it with my left hand to clean underneath it with my right hand and a paint brush:D

I might have to use compressed air, something many people in this forum would dissagree! :cheerful:

Petros

Back