Stiff cross slide on mill drill

Howardd

Registered
Registered
I haven't used my Rung Fu mill/drill for a couple of months, when I went to use it today I found the cross slide very hard to turn. Checks the cross slide locks and they were open. The machine was well lubed when last used.
I lubed the ways and ran the cross slide back and forth with minimal improvement.

Any ideas as what to do next?

I was thinking that possibly the ways oil has thicker and try to lube the ways with kerosene to losses them up, that relube with way oil.

Thanks

Howard

The gib might have tightened in the ways when you first tried to move it. Try loosening the gib screws, sliding the gib to a looser position, and then see if it moves freely. If so, lube and free everything up and then readjust the gib to a nice snug sliding fit. I think that is the likely cause, and can't really think of much else that would cause the problem, the oil may have run out and now the slides are sticking. What kind of oil have you been using? Way oil is preferred, it stays put better...

if it is not in a temperature controlled env. maybe that's it. it could have been cold and adjusted, now it's hot and needs to be loosened a little..or your oil may have jelled up not likely.
I was told yesterday not to use regular oil in my mill, only non-detergent oil. I was told the detergent will corrode things.
Just info I am passing along, don't know how true, I haven't researched it yet.

For my lathe I use way oil, but the mill called for SAE 20..

Back