Stiff cross slide on Enco 9 x 20

alandarkdale

Active User
Registered
While working on a part this afternoon the cross slide became stiffer and stiffer. I finally had to stop and pull things all the way apart.

I found that the "bearing" surface is just a slip fit between the pot metal support and the steel lead screw. I found that the lead screw had pulled a little wad of metal from the support out and then smeared it around the opening, binding the lead screw.

Cleaning it and lubing it should get me going again for a while. Should I try to put some sort of slip layer, washer?, between the shoulder of the lead screw and the support bracket?

I have seen a couple of sites with ideas for a whole new support and lead screw. That may be down the line a bit but not right now.

Thanks, Dale:think1:

How about supporting it in a brass or oilite bushing, or wouldn't that work?

Hard to fully visualize without a pic.

M

Cleaned up and reassembled. Seems to be working better. I have ordered bearings to use as I fabricate an upgraded mount. That will have to float to the top of the list fairly soon.

I am having trouble adjusting the gib screws. I 'm guessing that practice will be required there.

Dale

When that happened to my Jet it was farther gone than yours. I swapped the 8mm leadscrew and nut to a larger 7/16-20 and made a new brass nut to match. I also added 2 inches to the travel to turn larger stock. That nut on yours will probably do it again and cross thread on the leadscrew. Time for you to start watching that problem.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bill,

That is where I was thinking of heading. To increase the travel you simply put in a longer lead screw? The nut seems solid, it is the 2" extension to the front that had galled.

Dale

The hardest and most time consuming part of this conversion is single pointing the 7/16-20 left hand threads on the leadscrew and fitting them to the Brass nut. Time spent here will stop backlash problems later.

"Billy G"

<snip> is single pointing the 7/16-20 left hand threads on the leadscrew and fitting them to the Brass nut. <snip>

"Billy G"

I guess that means that I need to build the tumbler reverse too. Geepers, one thing leads to another and pretty soon my 10 years to retirement will be used up.

One of the grub screw heads is no longer functioning properly. Need to replace it and that is not going to happen in this little SE Kansas town. I guess a Grizzly order is coming on.

Dale

Tumbler Reverse is easy. All you are doing is adding an isler gear to reverse the lead screw. The Steve Bedair site has that also.

What size Grub Screw do you need?

"Billy G"

The grub screw thing is sorted already.

I was amazed that I was able to find the screw here in rural Kansas. Walked in and picked one out of the fastener display wall. They have a nice little drawer which included the M4 .70 pitch one I needed.

Steve Bedair's site is bookmarked on both of my computers and I have a notebook with lots of it printed out. I know what wants to happen to the machine. For some reason the Principal keeps expecting me to show up at the Middle School every day instead of playing in the basement.

Thanks, Dale

Back