Stepper Sizing for CNC conversion

Hello again all,
I just realized that I will need to do a 4th axis control but my mill has a single phase 240 motor on it.
Has anyone out there found a 3 phase motor that will fit the PM-45?
I loved the D80 frame motor that I put on my Griz G0602. The 3 phase motor setup with the TECO 50 drive was a dream to program and use. I had a potentiometer speed control that would allow me to run down to 1 rpm and you could not stop the chuck from spinning and the unit didn't overheat at all. That's what I want for the PM-45!!
I've been looking at C face motors as I haven't seen any with a flange and 120 mm x 4 bolt pattern.
One other concern is the use of a 3400 rpm 3 phase motor as opposed to the standard 1800 rpm. If the torque from the 3400 is still as good as the 1800 for cuts up to about 60 thou. then I'd like the extra speed when cutting plastics. The current motor is a 1725 rpm and is a bit slow for fast cutting in Delrin and Nylon.
Thanks again for your help!!
Merlin123

Hello again all,

I've been looking at C face motors as I haven't seen any with a flange and 120 mm x 4 bolt pattern.

One other concern is the use of a 3400 rpm 3 phase motor as opposed to the standard 1800 rpm. If the torque from the 3400 is still as good as the 1800 for cuts up to about 60 thou. then I'd like the extra speed when cutting plastics. The current motor is a 1725 rpm and is a bit slow for fast cutting in Delrin and Nylon.
Thanks again for your help!!
Merlin123

The 120mm bolt pattern is a standard B14 mount on a D80C frame metric motor. Available from various vendors.

Most 1800 RPM motors will run just fine at 3600 RPM. The current goes up because the motor is developing greater HP than rated. I ran my old mill at 120 Hz all the time. Just oversize the VFD a bit. I ran a 3 HP VFD on my 2 HP mill motor, off of 240V single phase.

Thanks Jim,
That's just the information I needed. The shaft should be pretty easy to machine for the keyway. I still need to pull my motor back off and check for the length below the mount and the size of the keyway. If I get lucky I may be able to get a motor with a shaft that will just need to be shortened.
Thanks again,
Merlin123

Back