Steel types?

This is a good source of 12L14 with reasonable shipping. They use USPS flat rate boxes, so you're limited in length to 12". I wouldn't think that would be a problem since you have a Sherline lathe though.

hobbymetalkits.com

Your Sherline lathe will turn anything a bigger lathe will turn, Aaron. However, for your threading adapter, 12L14 will be fine and much easier to work with. Sherline uses 12L14 or 1215 for many of their tools and adapters. Most of the time you can find small pieces of 12L14 on ebay, often with free or reasonable shipping prices.

1144 would be an okay material for your stamping stuff. It won't hold up to heavy use but for limited use on thin brass sheet I think it would be okay. This can also be readily found on ebay.

You are going to find that 1018 does not finish well. It will make parts but there are other materials that finish better on a light lathe. For a Sherline, 12L14, 1215, 1144 are a good place to start working with steel. Then buy other materials when the project calls for it.

This is a good source of 12L14 with reasonable shipping. They use USPS flat rate boxes, so you're limited in length to 12". I wouldn't think that would be a problem since you have a Sherline lathe though.

hobbymetalkits.com

Thanks had not run across that one, I've accepted that for for pricing 4-6 foot lengths are more cost effective, but yes, 12" lengths would be handy. Those flat rate boxes are like $14 so that's not bad. I was looking at $85 for metal and $45 in shipping which is why I decided to look locally.

Your Sherline lathe will turn anything a bigger lathe will turn, Aaron. However, for your threading adapter, 12L14 will be fine and much easier to work with. Sherline uses 12L14 or 1215 for many of their tools and adapters. Most of the time you can find small pieces of 12L14 on ebay, often with free or reasonable shipping prices.

1144 would be an okay material for your stamping stuff. It won't hold up to heavy use but for limited use on thin brass sheet I think it would be okay. This can also be readily found on ebay.

You are going to find that 1018 does not finish well. It will make parts but there are other materials that finish better on a light lathe. For a Sherline, 12L14, 1215, 1144 are a good place to start working with steel. Then buy other materials when the project calls for it.

I didn't even think about ebay for metal.

The local place does have a decent selection of brass and aluminum so I was able to get a foot of 1 1/2" 6061 so I can make the rear mount cut off tool holder.

Are you suggesting not using the steel I bought, or just saying not to expect great things from it? I don't have any boring bars yet, so if the 1018 is a poor choice for the adapter, it will be no hardship to wait until I have some 12L14 available. I'm only out about $25 if you think it better not to use this steel with the Sherline.

make sure you check ebay regularly, its a good place to pick up drops for cheap.

Thanks had not run across that one, I've accepted that for for pricing 4-6 foot lengths are more cost effective, but yes, 12" lengths would be handy. Those flat rate boxes are like $14 so that's not bad. I was looking at $85 for metal and $45 in shipping which is why I decided to look locally.

I didn't even think about ebay for metal.

The local place does have a decent selection of brass and aluminum so I was able to get a foot of 1 1/2" 6061 so I can make the rear mount cut off tool holder.

Are you suggesting not using the steel I bought, or just saying not to expect great things from it? I don't have any boring bars yet, so if the 1018 is a poor choice for the adapter, it will be no hardship to wait until I have some 12L14 available. I'm only out about $25 if you think it better not to use this steel with the Sherline.

I'm saying both. I suggest going with the 12L14 or 1144 for your adapter.

Back