Steel Spacer Plate For 600 Ton Press

Plastic Fantastic

Registered
Registered
Greetings.

I run a molding business, we have three "lines" as were.

One is my troubleshooting/consulting/corrective action service. People pay me to figure out troublesome molds. Often it's their machine, or a mold issue, or sometime even the material. It is often cheaper to pay someone $70 an hour to troubleshoot than it is to continue to have issues. This is great for smaller companies that may not have a Scientific Molder on staff. :)

My other product line is custom molding. I have almost a dozen presses of various sizes and types. I can inject thermoplastic and thermosets, and I can do compression-transfer molding on a big 300 ton press.

Finally I have a captive product line I run on two highly specialized rubber molding presses. I manufacture a type of insulator for the utility industry.

Here is my problem:

I need to make an odd-size spacer plate for the piston on one of the machines This piston transmits 600 tons of pressure to the bottom bolster plate... it's an upstroke press. Using the stock spacers they shipped with the machine I can't get it to "stay up." This, as you know... is very bad. ::)

Molding machine company pointed out the specs for diameter and everything are in the manual that came with the press... I have a drawing! HUZZA now I can have one flame-cut and ground to size.

Problem is the material spec. As in "make it out of metal."

WHAT kind of steel should I specify, and does it need to be heat-treated?

4140 has been mentioned several times. Going to get a "professional opinion" (meaning: pay a lab to test it) today, but I am looking for further advice/second opinions before I proceed.

Back