Steady Rest

biguglycaprice

Registered
Registered
I was working on a project and soon discovered that I needed a steady rest. Since I did not have one, I checked out ebay... Way too expensive for an atlas 10". So I made one myself. Here are a few photos of the nearly finished steady rest.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

Looking very nice
Apears as you just have the base to go. I had to build a steady for my lathe last year. I know, it not a tool often used, but when tou do need one, you really need it. What is the max size you can fit in it?
Keep the progress coming, and pics of the base and clamp for the bottom.

Paul

Keep the pics coming, its on my short list to do. I had to borrow one from a friend a while back to fix a motor shaft, need to make one htis summer.
How big is the main piece of tubing? OD and ID?

The ring has an outside diameter of 8" and a .750 wall. I'll use it most on 3-4" steel. When I make the base and the nuts I'll post the photos. The base will be a little primative until I get the mill up and running.

I needed a steady rest. Since I did not have one, I checked out ebay... Way too expensive for an atlas 10". So I made one myself.

Great job so far. Are you doing the lathe work on your Atlas 10"? Is it really that long or is it just the camera angle?

Benny

Yes, the work is being done on the atlas. The total length of the bed is 48". It's a 30's 10D model.

Here is the make-shift base and the knurled nuts that I made for it. The knurled end knobs will come at a latter date when I am more caught up.

2012-02-26 03.14.01.jpg 2012-02-26 03.14.37.jpg

Last edited:
As much as I hate making tools to make tools so I can make more parts for tools..... I am satisfied with how this project turned out. I think I'll get a lot of use out of the steady rest. It put my main project (the round on the lathe) on the back burner for close to a week. Two days in design, two days waiting for parts, and three days of machining... Nights/morning would be more accurate as I work 2nd shift.

Very nice job, i need to try and make one for mine, i have a follow rest that does great which i picked up for 60.00 which was a steal for my 11" sheldon, but waiting to get a mill so i can mill a piece with a v-way in it so it can slide on the bed, thanks for showing the great work:biggrin:Mac

Back