Steady rest

rafe

Active User
Registered
there is something wrong with one of the fingers of the steady rest....it only moves in and out while revolving (not sliding like the other two) ....I'm soaking it down and hoping for the best.....I have found some similar drawings of it but still lack the understanding of how it works, but I'll figure it out ....if you know of any exploded views of one ...please pass it along....

Rafe

A while back Bill had built a steady from scratch, and I think he used the best of the best design features. It might take a few mins to search it out, but I believe that thread would have all the infro your looking for. Perhaps Bill will chime in, and give you the link directly.

Sounds like you have a broken guide pin. Can you give us a picture of the steady rest?

"Billy G" :thinking:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-Steady-Rest-(Finished)?highlight=Steady+Rest

Hey thanks for the quick reply....I found that post and decided that there was not much inside that would go flying if I dismantled that finger ....the steel thread was rusted inside the brass finger , the guide pin would go back inside if I rattled it,so it could rotate....I ended up disassembling the whole steady-rest cleaning it and lubricating it .....it works well now ...(two fingers moves it easily now)....There was a bit of rust on two of them gunk on the other but it did clean up well and is ready for years of service....did the palmgren milling vice and tailpost too.........3 down ....many to go ...
I'll post a photo next time...I'm think it's SB PS yes it's a SB and the proper one for the 14 1/2 that I have ....photo is after an hour or so of rehab.......

steadyrest F 001.JPG

Last edited:
Back