Steady rest

cross thread

Registered
Registered
I just got done with a part , simple part but it did provide a challenge for my Atlas/Craftsman 6"101.03701 lathe . The part is a spacer , 120mm (2.75) length 3/4 dia . tapped 3/8-16 each end . For one thing I kind of screwed up , I used the 4 jaw (should of used the 3 jaw) so me wanting to get both ends running at least with in .005 , the 3 jaw would have provided that at the chuck end . So first I had to get the chuck end dialed in , no need with the 3 jaw . My steady rest has just the brass fingers so when I went to indicate in the other end , I got it running + or - .005 , it was to tight to start the lathe . I need the fingers with the roller bearings at each end . I like buying tooling .
Mark .

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have done this between centers. First turn the outside to diameter between centers. Then use the steady rest to support the outboard end to drill and tap. Flip the work end for end and drill and tap. This should give you a part with no runout.

You could have done this between centers. First turn the outside to diameter between centers. Then use the steady rest to support the outboard end to drill and tap. Flip the work end for end and drill and tap. This should give you a part with no runout.

Centers provide a real handy and cheap way of attaining good eccentricity when flipping a part end to end.

Stu

OK my bad , 120mm is 4.725 . I didn't need to turn the dia. just face both ends to length and drill and tap . Here is my fix .
1653757608756.png

Although the roller fingers are generally a good idea, they are not usually required. If you didn't have them, you can still use the solid fingers. Just takes more care in positioning the fingers.

Back