steady rest question

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I'm wondering is there a rule of thumb of how much stock should overhang a steady rest. I want to work on this well I can't figure out how to add a pic from my phone so I've got some 2 inch solid 6061 12 inches long what say yee :) wait I think I did it20150220_205902.jpg

Can the end be center drilled and a live center in the tail stock? Then a steady rest would not be needed.I would mark and punch the end for center. Then install in the chuck.Carefully center drill ,watch for any sag in the work piece.You could set up a rest for center drilling if the piece sags too much to center drill.A steady rest will be about 3" from the end,a follow rest will be close to the end,1-1/2" or so.
mike

See I thought of center drill and live center but I need to drill a 1/2 inch hole through the center

2" diameter would be pretty stout so the steady rest wouldn't need to be ran that close to the end of the workpiece. About how much you would hang that size diameter out of the chuck unsupported for machining would be fine for how much hangs off the steady rest. You could probably hang it out more than a few of inches without issues.

Back