Starting 'em out early... My daughter's first metalworking project

jgedde

Active User
Registered
Our little family paddle-boat (pedal boat) had a bent and broken rudder-shaft. I asked my 7 year old daughter if she would like to help me make a new one. I was so pleased when she jumped up and said YEAH!

So, down to the shop we went. She saw the broken pieces and I asked her what we needed to make a new one. She identified three pieces: the shaft and two end caps. "That's easy!", she said. "Let's just see", I said.

So we started looking for a suitable piece in the scrap bin to make a shaft out of. She found a 3' length of 3/4" dia 6061 aluminum. I showed her how to measure the diameter with a dial caliper. The aluminum rod came in at 0.752 and the original shaft 0.734. She concluded it was too thick and too long.

To the band saw we went. She marked off the right length, I set it in the band saw, she tightend up the vise and turned on the saw.

Then, she noticed that the ends were rough cut because of the saw and wanted them nice and neat. So, to the lathe we went for facing and center drilling.

Of course it was still too thick. So we talked about how to make it smaller. She correctly guessed we needed to "shave it down". So, between centers it went. With a little help with the subtraction and setting of the cross slide, she actuated the carriage feed and thinner it got. Her immediate response when seeing the old oxidized aluminum turned away to reveal the bright aluminum underneath was "COOL!!!".

Then, we set about talking how to make the end caps. Oddly enough, her first suggestion was to make a counterbore in the end caps "just big enough" and tap them onto the shaft using some "super sticky glue" to make sure they don't come off. A press fit! After a bit more discussion, we decided we would use screws to hold on the end plates - something she could assemble all by herself at the pond when we bring the new shaft.

She realized we needed to drill holes in the ends of the shaft to take the screws. We consulted the tap drill chart, and drilled holes. She attempted to screw in the screws but they wouldn't go. I called her attention to the fact that there were threads on the screw. She then started wondering how can we "cut some threads in that little hole." Hence, her introduction to a tap.

We then set about making the end caps. She didn't like the idea of the screw heads "sticking out" because they'd "get caught on the pond weeds". She suggested we make the "hole in the middle bigger, but not all the way through". A counterbore! So that's how we made 'em.

I gave her the two end caps, the shaft, two Allen head cap screws, and an Allen key, and she assembled the new rudder shaft all by herself. I wanted to use SS screws, but didn't have any kicking around. Tomorrow we'll stop by our friend at the hardware store to get them.

Here are pictures of the broken shaft and the new one:

IMG_1390.JPGIMG_1391.JPG

When asked if she still thought it was easy, her reply: "It's not really easy, but wasn't hard either."

I'm a proud poppa!

John

IMG_1390.JPG IMG_1391.JPG

Last edited:
Really nice story. She sounds like a natural. My girls don't seem as interested in going down the basement to make some chips.

That's really great. I got the same pleasure when my 11 year grandson went to my shop partly in sympathy because I can no longer do thinks outside in the heat. We made a few things in acetal, ice cream scooper handle, push button and just practice cutting.

He quickly learned to do all the setup on my old 9" Southbend with rocker tool post. He was able to visually cut his patterns very accurately just eye balling. When we we finished he said " Grandpa, I see why you like this." Each time he comes we try to spend some time in the shop.
He'll be here for a month, I need some ideas for some simple projects. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Martin

Well done John,
Now you just gotta hope the interest level stays there, especially after she discovers boys.

Cheers Phil

He'll be here for a month, I need some ideas for some simple projects. Anyone have any suggestions.

Martin,
How about some hand tools, turn a simple ball pein hammer shape and fit a (crafted) timber handle. Then a pin punch and centre punch to hit.
A scratch awl. Small G clamp, (if you dont want to get into threading yet, use a piece of threaded rod and weld on a nut), turn the end of the threaded section to take a swivelling pad.

Cheers Phil

...I think a press fit would have been cooler.... ;) :lmao:

How about making things she can continue to use/play with like a top? "Turner's cubes" are a little advanced but cool as heck. Let's see, maybe a pendulum? All kinds of stuff. :biggrin:

-Ron

My son seemed to have no interest at all in the shop. It was always I'll be back when it's fixed dad,in his 30's now and still don't like to get his hands dirty. My grandson on the other hand is always wanting to build and invent things, at 5 he last told me he liked to go to the garage better than the circus. I'm starting him out early and answering ALL his questions. Surprising how youngsters can make you young.

that is awesome!

kids that show interest should be encouraged. start 'em young will present them with better tools from an earlier starting point - always a good thing.

thanks for sharing.

Love to see youngsters enthused building something ;)
It do makes oldsters, younger ;)

Back