Starting Condenser For Emko Compact 5 Milling Head

ashtrain

Registered
Registered
Hi: New guy in town. Have a 20 year old emko compact 5 lathe and milling head. The condenser on the milling head golf punctured and lost its oil. Have looked for parts and come up zip. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Talk soon
Dick w

Hi Sorry for the bad spelling (fat finger syndrome). Meant to say got punctured.
Talk soon
Dick w

Hi Bob: Yep - that's the one. When moving something shifted in the truck and pierced the can. Next thing I knew there was oil all over. Have looked to usual sources however this machine hasn't been made in almost 1/4 century so parts are thin. I have looked on ebay, cl, yada,yada and found nothing.
Thanks
Talk soon
Dick w

if you could snap a picture of the capacitor, i could most likely identify it.
if there is any #'s present, please include them in the photo. :)
generally speaking 30-50 uf per hp is sufficient.

you may be ok with a 10- 15 uf cap on the mills' 200 watt motor

Last edited:
Hi Folks: Sorry for not getting back sooner - 10 hour workday yesterday and pooped at the end. First ,thanks for the answers. I got the # off the old capacitor: mob mp 16/360. It is about 6 inches long and 1 1/4 inch in diameter. The motor is 2 ams so it is approximately 200 - 250 watts. I have no picture - sorry. Can probably get one later. Thanks again for the help.
Talk soon
Dick w

16uf 360v i surmise
If you cant find 360v ,
A 440v 16 uf could be substituted

Last edited:
The closest standard value would probably be 15 uF (microfarad) and 330 vac (volts ac) and of course it should be an oil-filled type. It can be a different shape/size and can be higher voltage, not lower. Anything from 15 to 18 uF should work fine.
Mark S.
ps if the cap isn't short circuited you could conceivably fill it back up with mineral oil and seal the hole :)

Back