Starting a new knife

Ebel440

Active User
Registered
I've decided I need to make myself a new knife. I have only made a few before this, a couple fixed blades and 3 folders I think. I got started on this because I was looking for some steel on ebay and saw a cheap piece of pattern welded steel. I bid on it thinking I would loose. Well I won it, a piece of 12"x.200x1.75 made of 1095 carbon steel and 15n20. It came from the USA but I'm pretty sure it was made in India or Pakistan. When I got it the blank was actually 11.9 long and 1.64 wide and varied from .200 to .16 thick. It's claimed to be 55-58 rc hard. I have been meaning to contact the seller to see if it really is hardened as it looks like a generic ad which is used for pre shaped knife blanks as well. I decided to copy the shape of a knife I carry everyday as its what I'm used to.

image.jpg

I started by drawing a basic pattern on paper then scribing onto the steel and cut it out on a bandsaw. The blade is going to be ground to shape. Next I sanded the sides flat on a belt sander. There's still two spots which didn't clean up but will when the blade is beveled. I had to take off almost .03 in some spots to get it flat.

image.jpg

I decided to make the handle from one piece of 2024 aluminum to get as much strength as possible without too much weight. I roughed the slot with a keycutter and a .187 end mill. I'll finish it with files once I get everything figured out. It's going to be a linear lock which I think I'll make out of o1 steel. After the slot finished ill bore the hole for the pivot screw.

image.jpg

image.jpg
The slot just needs a little more clearance to be a good fit. Once I get the blade hinged ill shape the handle and fit the lock. Then I'll finish the shape of the blade and handle. I may need to harden the blade as I have doubts about its claimed hardness. I'll experiment with some scraps first. I'm not sure if I will put scales on or not I may make some textured carbon fiber ones or wood. image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Cool! Please keep us updated in the project. That's something I'd like to do. Thanks for the good pictures - they're worth a thousand words, as they say.

Thanks. I got the blade fitted to the handle temporarily. I just put it together in the position I want the two parts and drill through both at once. I used a 1/8 drill and pinned it as a hinge to figure out how to fit everything. I rough cut the handles shape on the bandsaw. Next up is fitting the lock to the handle.

image.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the lock and spring mechanism.

Looks good and I would also like to see how the blade is locked in the open position.

This post is awesome. I have never seen a knife being made. Please Please post as many photos as you can!

Back