Starrett telescoping gage repair?

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
I have a set of Starrett telescoping gages that were in a tool box I scored at auction. (#S579H, set of six) One of the gages is missing pieces. The 2 1/8 - 3 1/2 gage is missing one of its 'anvils', and the spring. Is there any repairing to this gage? Are parts available, or can it be made?
Also, some of the gages are sticky. Can I dis-assemble these to clean/lube, or are they better left alone?
Thanks,
Wes DSC01135.JPG DSC01134.JPG

I have no idea about repair, but I recently acquired an older one and cured it's stickiness with a couple of drops of oil.

I had a set of these I took on a trip to China. When I got there, I opened my suit case to unload my stuff, found one of the smaller ones completely taken apart and the spring and jaw missing. I figured the TSA agent unscrewed the clamp screw and the jaw shot out with the spring and lost it. The 2-1/8 to 3-1/2 gage was left over in China. The guys in the shop had never seen a telescoping gage before!

I know this has nothing to do with this thread, had to share. Send a email to Starrett. They may offer replacement parts for your telescoping gage.

Oh, I found a replacement on evilBay to replace mine with.

I know a guy who keeps his immersed in a jar of mineral oil.
I not recommending this as good or bad practice.
Regardless, his never get rusty!

Daryl
MN

The parts are available from Starrett, whether or not it's economical to replace those parts I don't know. http://www.starrett.com/metrology/p...-tools/hole-slot-gages/Telescoping-Gages/229D

They can be found individually on ebay pretty often for cheap. I have a Mitutoyo set & needed to replace one, got a replacement on ebay for less than $10. They're pretty easy to disassemble & reassemble, at least the Mitu ones anyway.

The parts are available from Starrett, whether or not it's economical to replace those parts I don't know. http://www.starrett.com/metrology/p...-tools/hole-slot-gages/Telescoping-Gages/229D

They can be found individually on ebay pretty often for cheap. I have a Mitutoyo set & needed to replace one, got a replacement on ebay for less than $10. They're pretty easy to disassemble & reassemble, at least the Mitu ones anyway.
Will, that a 579H he has, not the 229.

I had a set of these I took on a trip to China..... The guys in the shop had never seen a telescoping gage before!

I saw in a video, I believe it was Stefan, where he said telescoping gages were not popular in his country. Seems like they are mostly used in the US only. Come to think of it, I really only see them being used in N.America.

Not sure of the truth in that but if it is I wonder why?

I saw in a video, I believe it was Stefan, where he said telescoping gages were not popular in his country. Seems like they are mostly used in the US only. Come to think of it, I really only see them being used in N.America.

Not sure of the truth in that but if it is I wonder why?

It could be, the Chinese dug thru their catalogs, all in Chinese, could not find them. Its funny, they build millions of the Mitutoyo knock offs over the last twenty years. You would think by now it would have caught on over there. They were proud to get those Starrett telescoping gages, too. Best meal ticket I ever got over there!

Starrett is really responsive to repair requests, at least in my experience. I suggest calling about the parts. Last few times I called, they sent the parts I needed for free. This is one of the last great American tool makers and they are struggling. Nevertheless, they have stood behind their products over the years and I wish them well.

Back