Starrett quality

My tool boxes are filled with older Starrett and older Mitutoyo tools. Both are marked made in USA and Japan. I'm very wary of anything that doesn't plainly say where it was made. I've got some very nice Lufkin tools as well. Made in the USA!

I have a number of Starrett tools. A couple of years ago (maybe longer) I bought an old model 97, 18-inch level at a local antique shop. The vile of the level had some evaporation that had taken place and made the level hard to read. The level is rated at .005 at 12 inches.

I decided that since I am from MA and Athol is maybe 1 1/2 hour drive I would take it up to have it rebuilt. At the same time I decided to also have a mic checked and rebuilt. I believe that the mic is a model 436. The mic was given to me by my retired machinist neighbor. The mic was in great shape no scratches or anything. My problem was that when you zeroed it at any point it hid the line. I have an older Starrett mic (the same model) and you can see the line so I wanted them the same.

So I ended out leaving the 2 items for repair cost was around $175. They get half the price of what they are currently selling for. Well the level is now a model 98 or equal to one and is ok. The mic, guess what, the same problem. I did not follow up on it, because I thought it might be just me.

Oh BTW, my favorite mic is an old B&S with no ratchet. I use it all the time. I still have the Starrett, but have a ball installed incase I want to mic a pipe or tube.

Paul

Personally, I really dislike starrett, just doesn't feel right, and I especially don't like their last word indicator. I have been in aerospace machining for many, many years, and one company, Garrett turbine engine company/ Airesearch, sold them exclusively in their store, but that was back in 1978. I think the quality was better back then compared to now. However, for the hobby machinist, they may work for you. I tend to prefer brown and sharpe as well as mitutoyo.

I hate to learn Starrett quality is not what it used to be. All my indicators are Starrett bought when I first started back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. And so are my micrometers. That is sad news. They used to challenge Brown & Sharpe for owner loyalty.

The craziest thing I saw a few years ago was a plastic digital caliper, probably at Harbor Freight. I do have a 6" metal model they have on sale sometimes which is fine for what I used them for.

The craziest thing I saw a few years ago was a plastic digital caliper, probably at Harbor Freight. I do have a 6" metal model they have on sale sometimes which is fine for what I used them for.

Not too odd, Mitutoyo also offers a plastic digital caliper as does General. I would never think of buying one either but I suppose they do have their place when precision is not needed at a lower cost. The parts buyer at my work had a plastic dial caliper by General. He used them to check the sizes of bolts, washers, switches, bar stock, batteries, etc. Calipers can be purchased for cheaper at Harbor Freight but my work doesn't purchase from places like that. I suppose there are times where non-conductivity is important.

I have have a set from HF too that I use when I need to take it somewhere. The thing eats batteries so I have to keep the battery out until I use them as I don't use them often, that's annoying.

As the only electrical engineer amongst myriad mechanical guys I watch some of them measure the height of subC nicd cells..fully charged of course. Welded spots on the jaws of good calipers. I got them some plastic ones, problem solved.

David

I liked my B&S shop cals digital calipers... until they walked off one day. Once i have the budget, i'll get another set. I use a B&S dial caliper now, and i really like the feel. I have B&S and NSK mics, but i like, i think its more a of a feel that a brand. FOr digital its hard to go wrong with mits.

...does that include the Brazilian Mitutoyo stuff? I need a dial indicator with a magnetic base, and it seems like everything else I already know - three different options: crummy import stuff, good used that may or may not work when you get it, and good new that's outside my price range. The Mitutoyo stuff is right where I want to be, price-wise! but I have fears...

...does that include the Brazilian Mitutoyo stuff? I need a dial indicator with a magnetic base, and it seems like everything else I already know - three different options: crummy import stuff, good used that may or may not work when you get it, and good new that's outside my price range. The Mitutoyo stuff is right where I want to be, price-wise! but I have fears...

I have both Brazilian and Japanese made Mitutoyo tools, indicators, calipers, and micrometers. There is no difference in quality, all are excellent. Dan.

After 42 years in precision machining and having used and owned most major brands, if I were starting over I would purchase Mitutoyo for at least 90% of the measuring tools I'd need. That's knowing what I know now and strictly my biased opinion.

Gary

Back