Starrett No 199 Master Precision Level Cleaned Up Nice!

Darly,

It's mainly done to prevent the level from rocking on high center on a machine way or table. You're only talking about a half of a tenth or so if even that. Ken

4gsr,
Thanks I've got one with a divit. Presumably dropped.
Really, I didn't do it.
Someday I hope to get around to scraping her in.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
I could do without that annoying little hollow on the bottom of my Starrett Master level. I ALWAYS WEAR THICK COTTON GLOVES WHEN HANDLING MY LEVELS TO AVOID HEAT GETTING TRANSFERRED TO THEM. When setting the level across parallels on my long lathe,I always make sure I set the base of the level on exactly the same spots every time I move it. It is a good idea to mark 2 places with a marker on the side of the level,and always set the parallels there.

I also have the 12 inch" Starrett "Mechanic's level.(Mind you,I got these levels USED!) The Master is so sensitive it can be a bit of trouble ! I sometimes use the Mechanic's Level to get started,then use the Master level once I've gotten everything close. In reality,if you are careful about exactly where the bubble is,you can just use the Mechanic's Level and be done with it. You could just mark where the bubble is with a fine marker before you move the mechanic's level to the other end of the lathe.

There are simple techniques to get the bed of your lathe straight WITHOUT the use of a level at all. Maybe I'll post how to do that so everyone can find it.

Daryl: hopefully,the divot will not affect the accuracy of your level.

george wilson,
I ended up with two master 199s and a 98.
All used. Both the 199s are equally fussy. Sounds like the same fussy you have.
I clearly don't need two! Was hoping to pretty it up and sell it.

Daryl
MN

Good looking tool, has a first class professional look about it.

Not to hijack the thread, what are anyone's thoughts regarding a digital level ?

Yeah...........That's a bit pricey :eek 2:

I have one of the Clinotronic instruments, and it is invaluable for what it is. It is NOT a precision level though. IIRC, it's accurate to <3 minutes of arc.I like it because I can use it for relative measurements. I can (without disturbing datum I) set it on a surface and zero it, then move it to another and measure the angle between those two. Or can switch back to the original datum and check their absolute angles relative to level. I have checked it against a precision level, and it reads in agreement to the extent of the travel of the level, which of course isn't much. These inclinometers usually can measure up to 45° deviation from level, some to 90° and some even 360°. It all depends on what you want to spend.

Back