Starrett No 199 Master Precision Level Cleaned Up Nice!

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I scored this on ebay recently for $289, yesterday I cleaned off all the sticky inspection labels and goo and it cleaned up real nice. Man but 3M adhesive remover stinks to high heaven.

I have one of those in mint condition. Be advised that those always have their bases scraped slightly hollow. When I use mine to level a lathe,I always make sure that I put the level on the parallels in exactly the same place when doing both ends of the lathe bed.

Not a bad idea to mark the sides of the level with a magic marker to show exactly where to set the level on the parallels consistently.

George I just cleaned the magic marker off the sides, I was wondering why it was marked up lol.

It is always cool when by some miracle,you can find out why some obscure thing was done to old equipment before you got it.

Nice level George. It appears pristine.

I use WD40 for removing those pesky labels. It is generally not harmful to plastic or painted surfaces and it doesn't have the obnoxious smell of the solvents. It doesn't dissolve the rubber based adhesives but softens them enough to wipe them off easily. Remove as much of the label as possible for quicker action. Other light oils or mineral spirits will also work although, in my experience, not as well.

Back