starrett level ?

jbalp

Registered
Registered
I found a starrett 12" level at a used tool shop.. 80 bucks but the glass is broke.. anyone know anything about repair/replacement ?

jbalp

Starrett shows part numbers for replacement vials for their levels. Once you have the part number, Google it to find vendors who are selling it. Some are also available on eBay. but be careful to make sure that it is the one for your level. The vials in their 98 series are different for different lengths of levels. There is also a difference between the 98 series and the 199 level. Also make sure you have the correct vial for your level. There is a cross level vial which is much cheaper than the main vial. Be prepared for sticker shock.

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/m...isplayMode=grid&itemsPerPage=24&sortBy=wp/asc

Last edited:
If the vial is broke, I would not pay 80 bucks for it. Look for a better deal. If you already bought it, check with Starret for a new vial. They are not inexpensive though.

(I found a 12" Starret level like new for $50. The guy bought it new and found it was not suitable to use to hang pictures on the wall.)

Also be advised that the 98 series is not near sensitive enough for final machinery leveling; it is quite a cut above a carpenter's level, but is only suitable for rough leveling of machine tools, it is graduated in .005", the 198 is graduated in .0005".

Also, you could be into a slight learning curve when you go and replace the vial. AND be careful not to lose those little spring things when you take the vial apart.

Also, you could be into a slight learning curve when you go and replace the vial. AND be careful not to lose those little spring things when you take the vial apart.
I replaced the vial on more than one of these, and also made similar vial tube assemblies for the Kingway alignment tool that I made; sometimes a bit of wadded up paper is needed to get the vial to fit up to the top, and the whole vial is bedded in plaster of paris.

well i was thinking of offering them 40 bucks.. but I'll pass and buy a good level .. I'll have it forever

Back