Starrett Last Word - worth fixing?

... It isn't jammed or stuck like I thought, it's sluggish and jumpy. Either a weak spring or - well, I don't like to guess at problems.

The number one most common cause of a sluggish and jumpy dial gauge is guys putting oil on the plunger where it goes in the main bushing. Mitutoyo recommends a few drops of gasoline to clean the plunger and get rid of old oil etc then do not oil it at all.

Number two might be the dial gauge has been crashed or dropped and the plunger is bent a tiny bit.

I have repaired thousands of dial indicators, calipers,and items like Last Word and Interapids. I have no particular preference for brands as they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The short of it is that you probably will not live long enough to wear out a Last Word. Just treat it delicately.

I was in the measuring instrument manufacturing business for 25 years and I used all manner of indicators. The Swiss brands are no more reliable than the US or Japanese brands. The Swiss do nice work but so does Federal and others. Even cheap, Chinese, ten dollar, indicators will work for years if you do not abuse them. They are actually trashy but they work satisfactorily. The ones made in India are no better quality but they work well enough. Mitutoyo is overpriced but in general they are of good quality except their lower priced ones which are only a notch or two better than the Chinese made ones. Brands like Fowler and SPI have taken to re-branding Chinese stuff while still charging hefty prices as if the item was of their previous quality.

If you are a shop subject to ISO certifications it is a good idea to get the big name brands just to satisfy the auditors. Some of those auditors are on power trips and they are less likely to make trouble if you have big money brands..........Just sayin.

A writer, above, suggested careful cleaning, removing oily residue. He is right about that but maybe it would be better to use automotive parts cleaner in those neat spray cans rather than gasoline. If you use any solvents on your measuring tools, avoid getting the solvent on the crystal. Most of the crystals are plastic and the solvent will attack the crystal. Some solvents are hygroscopic so they leave water residue which your indicator does not like. So blow it out gently until you are satisfied that it is dry.

Although Last Word indicators were seen in the "Bible,it has been called" By Conneley,it is a very old design. I got into an argument with an expert who is no longer here about them. I have 2 that I bought cheap over the years. I have a super sensitive diamond scale,and tested the force it takes to move the stylus of a Last Word,a modern design Mitutoyo,and a like new plunger back Starrett.

The Last Word took SEVERAL TIMES the force of the Mitutoyo to move. The plunger back was somewhere in the middle of the 2. Plunger backs are just not real sensitive either.

It is important for an indicator to take as little force as possible to move the stylus. I had a Chinese one for years that was much more sensitive than the Last Word. I gave it away when I got the Mitutoyo,but I wish I had kept it as a backup in case I drop or damage the new one.

I'm not sure Long Island will work on last words. They recommend Tesa swiss made models of different badges. I have a best test and a tesa and like them both from my experience. I have also read more than one place about the large force necessary to get the starret moving.

Back