Starrett last word indicator

After googling the problem I found that the sticking is a common problem with these indicators they also are prone to giving conflicting readings due to this some say the small cheap ones are more accurate and better too bad I was raised using Starrett.. Ray

Last edited:
I guess between using them and working on them, I've seem a little bit of all when I was working on other people's stuff too. I like the InterRapid for the Swiss quality, but to me it's just not worth the price. The main attraction for me on them is the increased range of +/- 0.060 I believe it it. I have several different indicators, from cheap to expensive, and I choose the BestTest nearly every time as my go-to DTI. Just seems to always read well and never has led me astray. Although I have worn one out, but it took years of steady use, and was replaced immediately with another one.

Going on what I've read and been told I've bought B&S BestTest indicators, too. MOF last year I dropped my B&S DTI (don't ask! :angry:) from about 1-1/2'-2' onto my basement concrete floor. It was weird...my hand just spasmed and let go of it. :yikes: Luckily it's still working fine...confirmed with another indicator.

As a teenager, I worked in an instrument repair shop. One of tasks that I often had to do was repairing indicators. A large number of them simply needed the congealed oil, coolant, metal dust, and dirt removed, followed by a good oiling to work again.
Like was said, the oil will congeal and cause them to stick. Also, WD-40 leaves a residue that will cause them to stick also; I suspect that may have been the cause of the problems for many of them.

You should be able to disassemble it and fix it. IIRC, usually the issue on the Last Word's was in the "jewels" (the non-metal bearings), clean them, and the gear teeth, apply a couple drops (not a coating) of light machine oil, and reassemble, it should work fine. On the plunger based indicators, the sticking point was usually the rack. The same cleaning process usually fixed them. A lint free sting material was helpful for cleaning the slide bearings on those.

Thanks Mike it must have been the original lubricant they used because it has been in a tight fitting case since new I could use some non-residue cleaner I guess. Ray

You really want to be getting all the old, (and new) lubricants out of the internals.
Pay particular attention to the hairspring. A common cause of repeatability errors in moving pointer indicators is oil on the hairspring. Over oiling is a common cause of stickiness. Excess oil just attracts and accumulates junk.

Cheers Phil

I have others and yes they do work better I was just a little disappointed it was the first indicator I ever purchased when I was a kid and I was always lead to believe Starrett was the best I just cannot believe they still make this thing.. Ray

Mike would you start a new post and tell everyone about your experience with "cleaning and care of dial indicators" please. Maybe title it something like that. We might get more readers to learn. Can you take some pictures or can some of the others help with pictures? We all have our favorite indicators, but a general idea about what to do and what not to do might be interesting. Then everyone here can link it from there favorite forum. I was reading the other day when one reader said he only reads the forum about his brand lathe.
Everyone have a great day! Rich

Back