Starrett 196A1Z Universal Back Plunger Dial Indicator Part Missing

Wheels17

Active User
Registered
I just picked up a Starrett 196A1Z Universal Back Plunger Dial Indicator set at a used tool store, but it is missing the rectangular bar with the two mounting holes. If anyone has that part, I'd really appreciate it if you could post a picture of the part next to a scale so that I could make one. Or just a list of measurements might be simpler to do. It looks to be a pretty straightforward thing to make.

Starrett Indicator Bar.JPG

Here's what I think I'd need to sketch it up:

Bar Length:
Bar Width:
Bar Thickness:
Radius of Cutout below mounting point:
Length of straight section before cutout tangent point:
Height of the straight section where the rods mount:

Starrett Indicator Bar.JPG

I just picked up a Starrett 196A1Z Universal Back Plunger Dial Indicator set at a used tool store, but it is missing the rectangular bar with the two mounting holes. If anyone has that part, I'd really appreciate it if you could post a picture of the part next to a scale so that I could make one. Or just a list of measurements might be simpler to do. It looks to be a pretty straightforward thing to make.

View attachment 58284

Here's what I think I'd need to sketch it up:

Bar Length:
Bar Width:
Bar Thickness:
Radius of Cutout below mounting point:
Length of straight section before cutout tangent point:
Height of the straight section where the rods mount:

I use Starrett, that is a standard part. You can easily make one to fit you tool holder. I think it is 1/4-20 thread.

I may have one of those. If I do, you can have it. I'll search tomorrow and let you know.

Attached (I hope) are some pictures I just took and a sketch of the bar.

The dimension of the hole in the side of the bar should be 7/16 from the bar end. I couldn't trick my software into dimensioning from a radius.

Bar.jpg IMG_4838.JPG IMG_4839.JPG IMG_4840.JPG IMG_4841.JPG

la77y, thank you for the tremendous help. The drawing is great. I didn't realize that there were counterbores, or that there was a hole in the square end.

I am relatively new to metalworking, and this will be a good project. I'll have to stop by my local small volume metal dealer Monday and pick up some stock.

Back