Stand for Central Machinery 2HP

tylerjp34

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

My name is Tyler, I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 1989 Central Machinery Mill 2HP. It didn't come with a stand and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good stand for this machine? It weighs around 700-800 pounds. I may just weld one up, my only issue with that is that my welder and steel supply is in Philadelphia and I am in Baltimore. So if anyone knows of a pretty simple and strong stand for this stout machine I appreciate the advice.

Thanks!
-T

I looked at Grizzly at some other ones, hadn't seen that one. I'm now realizing that I may have bigger problems with head room than I had initially though. I am putting it in my basement and the stand may need to be slightly shorter than a normal one. I will have to take some measurements when I get home.

That Grizzly stand is very similar to what I had under my CM Mill/Drill:

i-mv3Kf5C-M.jpg

i-mv3Kf5C-M.jpg

I just made a stand from 4" x 4" uprights with a 3/4" ply top and 2" x 6" bracing under the top and near the floor, for my RF-31. It's only a little over 600lbs IIRC, but it hasn't so much as groaned in a dozen years of usage.

If I were to do it again I might "splay" the uprights for extra stability.

@jmarkwolf: Do you happen to have any pictures of this? I also have a slight issue with leveling in that the floor I'm going to put this is is horribly un-level. to the point where there could potentially be one leg or pair of legs that would me up to an inch shorter than the others. I think the option that will get me what I want if to just weld one up. It will take more time, but it will be the best solution.

The old lads in the oil company did this one, I now own.

mill.JPG

It is made from heavy material they had in hand. Of interest to you would be the angle iron feet which would easily allow the addition of leveling pads.

Steve

mill.JPG

Thanks Steve! That's essentially what I'm thinking of building. I may put some recessed castors on it in case I have to move it around a bit.

All good food for though.

@jmarkwolf: Do you happen to have any pictures of this? I also have a slight issue with leveling in that the floor I'm going to put this is is horribly un-level. to the point where there could potentially be one leg or pair of legs that would me up to an inch shorter than the others. I think the option that will get me what I want if to just weld one up. It will take more time, but it will be the best solution.

Pics attached. Taken with my camera so quality is so-so.

Just some lumber, glue and lag bolts, and it's rock solid.

Leveling pads under each leg.

Mill_Stand2.jpg

Mill_Stand3.jpg

Mill_Stand3.jpg Mill_Stand2.jpg

Pics attached. Taken with my camera so quality is so-so.

Just some lumber, glue and lag bolts, and it's rock solid.

Leveling pads under each leg.

This may be a game changer for me, that looks really nice.

Back