Stand for Bench Grinder

Another thing that works good for a base is the older pick up truck front wheel disc brake rotors with the hubs. These are heavy and with the hubs give you a good center for using to weld to. Of course the bigger the truck the bigger the rotor if you want something really heavy.

Another classic base is a wheel rim off a truck with a post welded to it. Those are super cheap and have good stability.
That's exactly what I did. Very stable and plenty of mass. I used 1/2" plate but mainly because I had a large enough chunk in my stash. Definitely has a larger footprint than the drill press stand and probably a little more mass and weight.

Regards,
Terry

Thought I would provide an update on my grinder stand project. I went ahead and used the base and cast iron drill press column I had on hand. I had to turn a couple of thousands off the end of the column to fit the ID of the 6" long x 3 1/4" OD x 1/4" wall DOM sleeve. I welded the sleeve to the 1/2" cold roll mounting plate. It slips down over the column and is secured by a couple of set screws. Total weight less grinder is about 80 lbs.

I drilled a couple of extra holes at the front of the mounting plate in case I want to add a bracket for aftermarket tool rests, a water trough, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_9326.JPG
    IMG_9326.JPG
    944.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9328.JPG
    IMG_9328.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
If the it’s going into a corner anyway why not just hang a shelf off the wall and put the grinder on it and be done with it? Save the mobile base for your other uses as well as the stand, and no holes in the floor.

-frank
I've always wondered how much noise would be transferred with a wall mount.
I sort of imagine the outside wall of my shop becoming a giant drum skin vibrating and annoying the heck out of my neighbours.

Interesting idea, I honestly had not considered that equation. I can see that being a real concern with a belt/wheel combination machine as those do tend to make a real racket. At least mine did — a General International — but as soon as I abandoned the belt side of things it runs as quiet as a mouse. But your point is taken. Personally I have very little mounted to walls, and no machines at all, preferring to build dedicated stands and have flexibility to move them at will.

-frank

I think you've done well with the drill press base. My preference is for plow disc pedestals. Things like plow discs, brake drums, and the base you used all work well because they only contact the surface from the edge, so no rocking occurs. The round edge makes them easy to move around, too.

Back