Squeak In Headstock

boostin53

Registered
Registered
Lathe being discussed in this thread is a Jet Bd920N.

While using the lathe today, I noticed a squeak as the spindle rotates. The spindle rpm was 300 and I forst noticed it while facing some steel. Thought it was weird. Finished the facing then did my first skim cut, the squeaking conituned. Its not a continuous squeak, but an intermittent squeak.

To me it sounds like the bearings need to be greased, but I can not find anywhere in the manual on how to grease them. Does anybody have any advise for me? Should I remove the bearings and give them a nice cleaning and relube? Of so, how? Never done this before.

Also, I know its not the belt or other gears because I located the squeak to the right spindle bearing, the one closest to the chuck. Please help! I dont want to keep using the lathe in fear of damaging something.

Lathe being discussed in this thread is a Jet Bd920N.

While using the lathe today, I noticed a squeak as the spindle rotates. The spindle rpm was 300 and I forst noticed it while facing some steel. Thought it was weird. Finished the facing then did my first skim cut, the squeaking conituned. Its not a continuous squeak, but an intermittent squeak.

To me it sounds like the bearings need to be greased, but I can not find anywhere in the manual on how to grease them. Does anybody have any advise for me? Should I remove the bearings and give them a nice cleaning and relube? Of so, how? Never done this before.

Also, I know its not the belt or other gears because I located the squeak to the right spindle bearing, the one closest to the chuck. Please help! I dont want to keep using the lathe in fear of damaging something.

A few years back I had a Grizzly 9 x 20. Not sure if it is the same as your Jet but mine had a ball oiler on each end of the headstock directly over the spindle bearings. I'm with you, I wouldn't run it until you are sure the bearings are well lubricated.

Tom S

Well with help from the interwebs, I removed the spindle. And I'm glad I did. The "grease" that these bearings were packed with looked and felt like tar. Thick, nasty black crap.

After a very good cleaning, the bearings, to my amazement, are still good! Glad I didnt keep on running it after hearing the squeak. Will clean them again tomorrow. Followed by packing with new grease and reinstalling.

Back