Squaring An X-y Table..?

negatronix

Active User
Registered
Hi Everyone,

I had to replace the entire head on my Grizzly GO755, and am having a hard time figuring out how to square/true the X-Y table to it. I had a crash which knocked some things out of "true", or the new casting might be off a tad. The direction that is out of true is front to back, not side to side. Side to side was easy.

Is there a way to adjust the table on these cheaper chinese machines typically? I'm still very much a beginner, so if anyone knows of a good thread or youtube clip demonstrating how to do this please chime in! Or maybe a brief walkthrough to get me headed in the right direction!

Thanks,
-Kory

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

If the table is not square with the head, you need to shim the corners of the column to base casting joint until it squares up front to back. Side to side you can also shim. Don't just swivel the head until it trams the table correctly, the vertical axis travel of the head on the column while sliding it up and down must also be square with the table. First square up the vertical axis front to back and side to side, and then tram the head.

You will most likely have to shim the column and/or the head. For the G0755, the column ways have to be perpendicular to the x-y plane and the spindle has to be parallel to the column ways. Adjusting the column would be done by shimming under one or more of the four mounting bolts at the base of the column.

But first things first. Is the table parallel to the x and y ways? If you mount a dial or test indicator in the spindle and sweep the table in the x and y directions, you should not see indicator movement as you sweep if the table is truly parallel . More than likely, you will see some movement. If there is a significant deviation of parallelism, you could mount a piece of plate on the table and mill it with a small end mill. Even with the mill out of tram, the difference in height will be insignificant for a small end mill.

Checking the column for perpendicularity is more complicated. You will need a surface which is perpendicular to the table surface. A good candidate for this is a cylindrical square. A cylindrical square is simply a cylinder of uniform diameter and roundness which has a base that is exactly perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder. Another possible square would be a good 2-4-6 block or angle plate.

The square would be placed on the table and a test indicator mounted in the spindle would sweep the surface by moving the head up and down. you would want to sweep twice, once with the indicator tip in a plane through the cylinder axis and parallel to the x axis and once with the indicator tip in a plane through the cylinder axis and parallel to the y axis.This is where you would use the shims under the column base to bring it into alignment.

Finally, you would need to tram the head. The instructions in the manual will tell you how to tram it in the x-z plane. To tram it in the y-z plane you would have to go back to shimming. As I see it, the only option is to place thin shim washers under the head on either the two side bolts or the bottom bolt, depending upon whether the head is tilted up or down.

If you are not concerned about maintaining your registration when moving the head up or down, the process could be simplified by shimming front to back under the column base as indicated by tramming in the y direction and adjusting your tilt to tram in the x direction.

Bob

I suggest you back up a bit so we can all get on the same page.
To be clear, you are talking about the head travel being perpendicular to the table in both the x and y direction (the proper term here is "normal.")

This is a multi step process, and it is easy to waste your time.
These are the steps in order:
1) Make the head travel parallel to the column, you MUST do this first or all other adjustments are meaningless.
You mount the indicator to the column, and measure along a test bar in the spindle (use your method of choice, Rollie Dad is fine). You move the head, not the spindle. You can correct the x-axis by rotating the head, you correct the y-axis (this is called "nod") by shimming or scraping between the head and the column.
2) Make the column perpendicular to the table in the x and y direction.
You measure by mounting the indicator of the table and measuring along a test bar. Again, you move the head and not the spindle Minor adjustment to the x-axis can be done by shimming between the base and the stand. Correcting the y-axis requires shimming or scraping between the column and the base.
3) tram the head/quill. Here you get the best balance between head movement and spindle travel. If the 2 preceding steps where completed, then the head will be square to the table, and you will only see any mis-alignment between the spindle and the head. This mis-alignment should be pretty minimal, and you can safely rotated the head to compensate most of the time. If it is way out, then you will have decisions to make (live with it, scrape into shape, or replace).
This corrects minor errors from the other adjustments. Mainly it is used for getting the quill perpendicular in the x-axis after you rotated or crashed the head.

Image the column leaning over at an angle, but you have the head trammed to the table. When you lower the head, it moves diagonally down. Now think about what happens when you try to bore with a head that moves diagonally downward. It is really important for so many reasons that the head move parallel to the column and normal to the table. If this is done, then a cheap import that only cuts to a thou suddenly reliably cuts to under 5/10's.

Shimming between the machine and the stand is required for pretty much all bench style mills, you would be amazed how much even a flimsy stand will twist the base casting on a mill. Shimming between the base and the column will result in loss of rigidity, increased vibration, and other odd problems. Once the correct shim is figured out for the y-axis, the column should be bedded with the shim using a bedding compound like the way a gunsmith beds a rifle action, except you should use a release agent on both sides. Ideally it should be scrapped, but bedding is fine. Shimming between the head and the column will create the same problems as between the base and the column, with the added issue of what to do with the shim when you rotate the head. Scraping is the only real solution, because scraping will let you get it true even when the head is rotated.

Under no circumstance should you use set screws between the column and base or the head and the column where they will bear the force of the adjustment. You can use them to put the column into plum, bed the column, then back off the screws. I have seen people use set screws between the head and the column adaptor to get the head square to the table. This will just cause nothing but grief down the road because of the divots left by the set screws. Using set screws in little brackets to give micro-adjust to the head for tramming is an excellent mod, and will make your life easier.

negatronix,
The prior threads offer sage advise.
Please read them carefully, and ask questions.
I've been in your boots (I'm sure my socks smell worse).
You can get this!!
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Daryl
MN

I can't believe all the help and advise everyone has offered up! Thanks so much.

There is a bit to sift through, so step #1 is going to be to just digest all of it, and let it kind of sink in. Some of the terminology is new to me, so I want to learn what those words mean as applied to machining.

I will post again when I get stuck or get it where it needs to be.

The machine head was defective from Grizzly... it had a cracked bearing "seat" in the casting, which allowed the hi/low gear shaft to move. My crash really wasn't bad, it just broke a bit more of the already broken seat off.

Thanks!!!
-Kory

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

Back