Springfield

Gfrost

Registered
Registered
00G0G_baYimt3Ekms_600x450.jpg

I am going to take a look at this springfield tomorrow. What would you think something like this should be worth, just give me a range? I know, I know, would you think it's worth $1500 or more? What is it like to get parts for these old lathes??

Gary

$1500 is not a bad price. See if you can get it for around $900.

My dad had a 22" Springfield lathe similar to this one. It was one heck of a iron cutting lathe! Didn't groan at anything thrown at it. Just chewed away kept on ticking. The old straight cut gears in the headstock get noisy at times. I'm sure this one does not have a harden bedways like most all Springfields are like this. That one looks like a 16", little bit smaller than the one we had. In the 22 years we had it, never had to do any repairs to the lathe. There are no source for parts out there. You would have to make your own. As big and healthy as the gears are in the headstock and QCGB, you'll destroy the lathe before breaking a gear in one of these. Oh, don't expect to any kind of operations manual. Have never seen one, just catalog pages on their lathes. If you do buy it, send me a message and I'll fix you up with a scan of the catalog pages I have on file. Ken

I have a 1920 belt drive 17x54. I love it. It came very well equipped for $900. If you get it I'd like to see some pics

One thing I just notice about this lathe. It is equipped with leadscrew reverse on the apron. This would make it a "Tool Room" lathe. Ken

I don't know what the lathe is worth, but I have a Craftsman table saw just like the one in the background of your picture, do you know what year it is? I also have a four inch joiner of the same vintage, it's set up so you run both of them off the same motor, I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Don't know anything about them, but it seems to have all the bells and whistles, looks awful capable. If the price is right and it's not clapped out, I'd be on it. Mike

I don't know what defines a tool room lathe but that feed reversing lever also is a feed disengagement control that automatically stops the carriage feed at a preset point.

See this thread http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lathe-feature-discovered.50365/#post-423675

Seems this feature is not on many lathes

Yep! your correct. But on some lathes, it is a lead screw reverse. It still makes the lathe more desirable over others out there. And the name "Springfield" means a lot too.

Ken

With the Chuck tossed on the ways it indicates maybe not proper care so use that as both an indicator and tool for bargaining.

Lathe is large and the bigger it is the LESS it is worth for resale as folks who need large lathes need new ones.

Hobby folks are what drive price on "old clapped out machines" so given the size and dirty look there likely is not a line of lookers.

Consider power needs...If it has large 3 phase motor then how to power it.

We have a 7.5 hp with SPC that is a pain.

How to move it?

Use these tools for price adjustment after you decide you want it.

Take something to do with you...A chunk of metal like a brake rotor.

Run it in all speeds and check operation of every know and lever.

Take a wad of twentys as that is fatter than a wad of hundreds and put 600 in one pocket and the rest in other pockets.

Depending on how seller is acting determine how they sound regarding price adjustment and DO NOT TALK PRICE AT ALL while looking and maybe bring wife to nag about space as that often works too.

If the guy sounds like they will move a bunch or little then when you have planted seeds of space moving power and other reasons you should NOT buy the lathe then ask what the best price would be as you thank them for letting you look.

If more than your pocket stash pull it out and offer it as you have a budget and need to pay to move it...

We did all the above and got a set of QCTP ($3500.00 worth) and delivery included for advertised price on ours as seller needed it gone to make room for new one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Please don't take thy wife!!! Unless she likes machinery too. That could turn into a no deal! Cash does entertain.

Good point brought up, moving the beast! Your looking at around 5,000 to 6,000 lbs there. This kind of weight does not move around easily. If you have the equipment to move it that's fine. But if you don't, be careful there. Things to consider is how are you going to load it, if you have a trailer? If you don't have a trailer, look at hiring a roll back tow truck to pick it up and take it to your location and unload for you. If the seller has this tucked away into a room with no opening to the outside to drag it out of, I would pass on it. Ken

Back