[Lathe] Springfield Help to a new owner

domunique

Registered
Registered
Help!

I took the bait, I had to it was too hard to resist. LOL
In my quest to upgrade from my 10" atlas a friend buying some tools from a retiring farmer called me and said "I found a hell of a deal for you, better get over here now!" that call alone was hard to resist.

So here is what I know I ended up with besides alot of questions.
I know it's a Springfield, atleast a 16" swing as the chuck measured 16" and overall length it is tad over 9 feet. Too excited I forgot to measure between centers.
I know he can get it on my trailer I just have to find a way off. :)

I been looking at pictures but not finding any with this 4 speed transmission on it, is this an add on, or farmer fab?

Will threading work onit, or do I need change gears for that?
Where can I find the owners manual so I know what all theese levers do?
I'm sure there will be a ton more questions.

20170324_092340.jpg 20170324_092428.jpg 20170324_093203.jpg

I think it originally had gearcases that could be interchanged for different threads/feeds. Myself, I would convert it to a quick-change gearbox, or buy a set of individual gears and retrofit.
I'm pretty sure the transmission was an add-on, but if it works that's great. Is it single phase power or 3 phase? How many horsepower?
Mark S.

Single phase 220v
Not sure on HP I will look it over closer tomorrow when I bring her home.
It came with so much extra's I was in shock.

The only kicker was I also had to take this mill as he would only do a package deal.
I'm a sucker for good deals.

20170324_093655.jpg

The photograph of the end of the lathe shows the 4 to 1 (or 1 to 4 reversed) pair of change gears. This lathe also
uses a 2 to 1 set and a 1 to 1 set to run all the threads and feed speeds. It is equipped with an 8 gear rotary change
gear box which will give you all 40 thread possibilities from 2 to 56 TPI. The change gear sets also gives you all the
feed speeds used to power the carriage and cross feed(for facing). The "dog house" on the end of the lathe is used
to hold the two extra pairs of change gears. Congratulations on your new toys!

Last edited:
I like it! Looks like Cathead has you covered on how everything works. Inquiring minds (and nosy busybodies) want to know, how much for those beauties? Cheers, Mike

Nice find, you better get some flowers for your wife. Looks like you won't be spending much time with her in the near future:D. Keep the pictures coming when you get it home.
Martin

Back