Spring pass.

Clockmaker

The Village Clockmaker.
Registered
Newbie here. In the last thread about chatter when cutting threads, there are several mentions of a "spring pass". That's a new one for me. Anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks, JL

Just means to take a second cut with the same settings. Most often, the first cut does not completely remove all the material and a second (spring) pass catches what the first one missed. Depending on the material, sometimes the spring pass will make the finish look rough. -Depends on if you're using carbide, HSS and type of material. Experimentation is the best way to learn.

Ray

Newbie here. In the last thread about chatter when cutting threads, there are several mentions of a "spring pass". That's a new one for me. Anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks, JL

If I remember correctly it refers to using a boring bar ,,, the final pass or two which allows for the spring in the bar to correct for slight taper in the bore and achieve correct bore diameter... bearing in mind machining is Not my trade,
Cheers,
John.

sorry Ray have to sstop meeting like this:))

Last edited:
LOL: You're right too... Often necessary for boring due to the long tool piece but, it applies to all cuts as well.

Ray

If I remember correctly it refers to using a boring bar ,,, the final pass or two which allows for the spring in the bar to correct for slight taper in the bore and achieve correct bore diameter... bearing in mind machining is Not my trade,
Cheers,
John.

sorry Ray have to sstop meeting like this:))

Back