Spiral Taps

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
I think it's time to upgrade my ancient (40+ years) Craftsman HSS tap set.

I'd like to go with spiral taps, probably spiral point as I don't thread many (any?) blind holes.

I'd also like to get a set rather than ordering up individual taps. I'll start with an SAE set. Probably #8 through 1/2 inch, fine and coarse.

Questions:

1. Does such a set exist?
2. If so, source(s)?
3. What should I expect to pay for a decent set?

Thanks for any input.

Hertels maybe from MSC . I'm sure GTD has sets also along with many others .

I have purchased from these folks before and have been satisfied with the quality. They don't appear to have spiral point sets, but you can easily make up your own set with the sizes you want.
Ted

Thanks. I suspected I'd have to order individual sizes.

I see two brands, Qualtech and Tap America. Any experience with comparative quality? TA's being more expensive (tho still more reasonable than I feared) are they noticeably better quality for the occasional home user?

Thanks. I suspected I'd have to order individual sizes.

I see two brands, Qualtech and Tap America. Any experience with comparative quality? TA's being more expensive (tho still more reasonable than I feared) are they noticeably better quality for the occasional home user?
I have only purchased the Qualtech brand, so can't offer any comparison. Actually, I don't remember them having the Tap America brand available when I purchased from them.

Ted

I have only purchased the Qualtech brand, so can't offer any comparison. Actually, I don't remember them having the Tap America brand available when I purchased from them.

Ted
Okay, thanks. I'll grab 4 or 5 of the most common sizes and go from there.

I think it's time to upgrade my ancient (40+ years) Craftsman HSS tap set.

I'd like to go with spiral taps, probably spiral point as I don't thread many (any?) blind holes.

I'd also like to get a set rather than ordering up individual taps. I'll start with an SAE set. Probably #8 through 1/2 inch, fine and coarse.

Questions:

1. Does such a set exist?
2. If so, source(s)?
3. What should I expect to pay for a decent set?

Thanks for any input.
I have set that 60 years
But do have a set that is a drill set with drill need too use that most time. It American with taps and drill bit made American too I do not want to think price today.

Dave

McMaster-Carr has sets of spiral flute taps, I haven’t seen them anywhere else.

Back