Spinning Tops

What are you up to lately, RWM? Make any new cool tops? Here's my latest. These tops were designed specifically for the TopCon 2017 spin competition. The rules were:
  1. Top has to be 10 grams or less.
  2. Top can be at max two pieces, and must be made of timascus (I was practicing with titanium)
  3. Center stem could be at max no more than .500"

...Otherwise, anything goes. I figured that most people would use aluminum or magnesium for their stem, so I opted for something even lighter- Rexolite machining plastic. Fun stuff to work with! The stems on both tops shown in the video are less than 1 gram. I was REALLY hoping to break the 10 minute mark, but I just couldn't get there- not even close to be honest. The first top is 8.8 grams and the second is 9.85 grams. Personal best spin time for the first is 08:24.20 and 07:16.77 for the second. They are a bit scratched in the video due to MANY spin attempts.

Beautiful stuff you are making!
As you may have seen, I have been busy with a top that uses a Harley wheel turned sideways on an axle...
Robert

Beautiful stuff you are making!
As you may have seen, I have been busy with a top that uses a Harley wheel turned sideways on an axle...
Robert
Actually I have not seen that. Did you make another thread or something? Would like to see it!

There is a guy making tops out of iron meteorite fragments! Pretty cool idea. That stuff is crazy expensive though. I guess for some special project that would be a really interesting material to use. It something I will keep in mind.

19055285_10154940375593702_2605088911985059508_o.jpg

Robert

It has been a while since I've posted here, but I've been busy! Here are pics of the last eight tops I've made. Enjoy!
[EDIT]- Good God. Darn Photobucket.

resized.jpg

resized.jpg

resize.JPG

resize1.JPG

resize2.JPG

resize.JPG

resize.JPG

resize.JPG

FullSizeRender 4 copy.jpg

FullSizeRender 5 copy.jpg

FullSizeRender 6 copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrapped this one up last night. This is bronze over rexolite machining plastic, over timascus.

Very creative design and beautifully executed, too.
Well Done!

-brino

Back