Spinning Tops

I haven't poured any copper alloys yet (I have a LOT of copper and related metals all sorted and waiting for me to get around to it, and I've read a lot on the subject, but no actual pours yet), but it seems to be fairly straightforward based on the quality I see some fools on YouTube producing without any regard for metallurgy, safety, etc. Producing an accurate alloy, a clean form casting, etc. are other matters. But for just casting stock I doubt you'll have much trouble. If you aren't already you should spend some time on alloyavenue.com.

32696699944_de6c67c85b_b.jpg

What a great casting station! By all means feel free to share more photos or even video of it in use. Your flask looks great as well. Is that your own construction?

what size and type is your crucible and where did you get it. I have a bunch of brass, copper, and alum, and would like to start trying to cast some pieces once I get my equipment back together.

I can't speak for him, but I can tell you that the best value I've found is from www.lmine.com. #8 or #10 is about as big as most people care to go for handling alone. Copper and copper alloys get very heavy (remember, as Robert has so conveniently shown here, that you have to build in a sprue and risers in most casting, and that can easily double the volume needed for a pour).

It is an A6 Super Salamander. Great crucible. $40 on Amazon. Highly recommend.
This pour was 3 Kg which is about half of an A6. I have an A8 but I only use that for aluminum. Rarely for Gold.
R

Back