Spinning Tops

Here is the Forever Spin dimascus. (Note that it spins for about 90 seconds max)
IMG_3054_zpsbmlhwbjf.jpg

IMG_3055_zpsxkiqvxdl.jpg

IMG_3062_zpsa6vxkgpz.jpg

Oh man. Total thread jack. Sorry rwm, I misread your first post!! I thought YOU were the one who recommended some other top groups, but I see that was someone else. Didn't mean to photo bomb your thread! I'll delete those posts if you want. I do think your tops are really cool! I'm super interested in how you intend to finish them.

I don't think he will mind. That's a great way to start what should become an ongoing discussion.

I think spinning tops are the reason I can even use my lathe worth anything. The so called 'edc pocket tops' kicked off shortly after I got my lathe and really pushed me to learn how to true it up. (which I'm still fairly rubbish at :D)
They're great fun, I've made probably 20 in the last year. Great quick project. I also just recently switched from stainless steel bearings to silicon nitride bearings. lots of things came together at once. finally getting a collet chuck, moving to a grade 5 bearing, and press fitting them instead of gluing them. I've seen in my latest one, gone from a 4 1/2 minute spin to a 7 1/2.
I'd absolutely agree with the first post, they make great gifts, but for more than just the kids! Most of my co-workers have requested them from me, they're great for fiddling with mindlessly!

When making my top, made the diameter where we put the fingers smallest possible. It give more RPM per "finger stroke". Other consideration is to use the heaviest metal since it give you more inertia.

Few days ago tried (with a small elerctic motor rotor from scrap bin) a compressed air powered top. It spin to hell, had good rotating mass but keep only 4 minutes spinning.... it's due air drag?

When making my top, made the diameter where we put the fingers smallest possible. It give more RPM per "finger stroke". Other consideration is to use the heaviest metal since it give you more inertia.

Few days ago tried (with a small elerctic motor rotor from scrap bin) a compressed air powered top. It spin to hell, had good rotating mass but keep only 4 minutes spinning.... it's due air drag?
I liked your video. Is that a shop-made radius tool? I'd love to have one like that. I also liked how you couldn't wait to spin it. :)

cascao- looks like you used cutting fluid when adding the knurl. I didn't think brass needed cutting fluid, but it's clear in the video that your knurling tool didn't fill with chips. Can you let me know what cutting fluid you used there? Seemed to work quite well!

I haven't done any knurling (just got my first knurling tool with my Shars QCTP set this last week), so I can only repeat what I've been taught, but according to That Lazy Machinist on YouTube (one of my three or four favorite sources for very technical training) you don't want cutting oil for knurling, you want a straight lubricating oil. For brass and aluminum I believe you can use very lightweight lubrication including denatured alcohol.

I liked your video. Is that a shop-made radius tool? I'd love to have one like that. I also liked how you couldn't wait to spin it. :)

Yes, this radius tool is from http://www.toolsandmods.com/library/ralph-patterson (nice site by the way). Just make sure you have it right for your lathe rotation axis height.

cascao- looks like you used cutting fluid when adding the knurl. I didn't think brass needed cutting fluid, but it's clear in the video that your knurling tool didn't fill with chips. Can you let me know what cutting fluid you used there? Seemed to work quite well!

When I knurl, always use cutting fluid to avoid debris build up. In this case was Tapmatic 1 since my top is in yellow brass. Will try plan engine oil someday...

Back